You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Aff. Designer] Constraining a node HANDLE to 45deg intervals - bug in the program or confusing/incorrect info in the manual?

Aff. Designer 1.6.4.104

According to the manual I should be able to select a node (via the Node tool) on an already drawn curve and Shift+drag the handle to constrain it to a 45deg intervals. It doesn't work. Shift+drag just slides the handle along the imaginary line defined by the original orientation of the handle.

From the manual  Drawing curves and shapes > Edit curves and shapes:

When using the Node tool, the following modifier keys can be used to speed up the workflow:

The Shift key constrains the control handle to 45 degree intervals. In Smart mode, node positioning is constrained instead.

Is this supposed to work at all? Maybe I just misunderstood the info in the manual. Or is it indeed worded incorrectly? Maybe it should read "The Shift key constrains the node to 45 degree intervals". Then it would make sense.

Edited by raptor
added version number of the program

• Staff

Hi raptor,
This only applies while you are creating a node with the Pen tool (dragging it after clicking on canvas to place the node). As far as i know it's not possible to do it for an existing node other than constraining its position to 45º degrees (the node not the handle). This Help topic seems outdated. I will log this to be looked at/reviewed.

Holding ⇧ (shift) while dragging a node's handle will constraint the movement to the direction of the handle as you discovered. Again seems the Help isn't correct here.

Hi MEB, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it looks like the info about the Pen tool feature is mixed up with info about the Node tool. Thanks for logging it. Recreating the node handles using the Pen tool while holding Shift can be a feasible workaround until (and if) we get something like angle snapping for handles in the future.