You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Set custom center area/bounds for an object or group of objects

I don't know if this feature exists even if it's a thing to begin with, so I didn't know how to search; I have this object that's mean to be centered vertically --I'm like 90% positive-- but the object is asymmetric, and those extra bits and pieces of it make it really difficult to align among the other objects using the automatic tools; to compensate I draw a shape covering what's considered extra, the area that's supposed to run off the canvas/artboard if it doesn't fit, then opt-dragged it to the other side and made both invisible and grouped them so I could at least align more easily.

Designer, though, outsmarted me and realized what I did and adjusted accordingly, apparently if humans can't see the invisible objects Designer will turn a blind eye too. (!)

Even if it didn't I saw that resizing using another object as reference isn't that precise, I somehow though resize from one size or opposite corner would anchor down the other side so I could keep the reference. Since I figured I wouldn't make any sense trying to explain myself I made a quick doodle. The area in magenta is what I'm trying to mark as the working area, according to my made up terms, what's in cyan is supposed to overshoot the canvas but since it lacks matching content in the bottom it (Designer) would consider the middle where magenta meets cyan/light blue.

Any advice?

1753736005_ScreenShot2018-05-31at04_46_02.png.c431ea2f2215180634d832e8d656cab1.png

Thanks a million!

Well, here’s a quick idea. Suppose you want to center the pink square on the canvas, while keeping the relative position of the blue rectangle to the square. Then you could clip the blue rectangle to the square in the Layers list (making it effectively disappear), center the square, and unclip the rectangle again. :)

Center.png.12ec24f2210f9cf41bb397d2b0cc66e1.png

Woaa! Thanks! I'll try that. Will it resize if I resize the main one? Well, I guess it doesn't matter if I group them, they'll snap right back into position.

Thank you for your help!!

I <3 this software.

If you have a bunch of objects a, b, …, e instead of my blue rectangle and a bunch of objects A, B, …, D instead of my pink square, you can group a, b, …, e for purposes of easier handling and nest the group to any of the objects A, B, …, D. As a rule, when you transform a parent object, all children will be transformed accordingly. You can override this behavior by ticking Lock Children on the context toolbar of the Move Tool. :)

• Staff

Moving to the questions forum
(this thread is not about using the a beta build and also there is no active software beta for Affinity Designer on Mac at the moment)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon