You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I export to PSD and have editable text?

Hello there,

So I'm a website designer, and I would like to design in Affinity Designer more. I found a problem though that is preventing me from doing that full-time...When I export my files to PSD (for handing over to developers) and open them in Photoshop, the text layers appear as image/raster layers and aren't editable.

Please help. This is a very important issue for me to resolve. I cannot proceed with using Affinity Designer if our dev team can't edit the texts.

Other than this, I am really loving this software. Please help.

Thanks,

Eli

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi elijohn23,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently Affinity apps don't export text to PSD as editable text. This should be added later in a future version.

Aww. I am really sad to hear that. Thank you for responding. Any hint on when this new feature might be available?

• 2 weeks later...

I also want to ask when it will be possible to etid a text after exporting from Affinity Desinger to Photoshop? It's the same with me ... I'm a webdesigner and I really love to work with Affinity Designer (more than with Photoshop) but a non-editable text after export is an absolute no-go and I am very sorry that I have to switch over to Photoshop again.

I've heard something about Affinity Publisher coming out ... is it foreseeable when it's available?

PLEASE work on the feature of "editable text" in PS after export and PLEASE launch Affinity Publisher

Kindest regards, Peter

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Yellow said:

hi. is resolved this problem? im in point when i need export PSD file from my Affinity Designer and my friends needs edit text. have you any good idea how can i make it? thanks

No. The only workaround is to export as pdf, open in Ai and export as PSD.
This works but splits text boxes into text lines.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Ruth Park said:

is the text editable though?

Yes, it is, but not easily! That’s what @m.vlad meant by

On 7/31/2019 at 10:29 AM, m.vlad said:

This works but splits text boxes into text lines.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Ruth Park said:

I saved as a 72dpi pdf then opened in ai saved as psd but all is rasterised

What were your export settings? It should be possible to export text as editable text as long as you haven’t applied any filter effects (but 72dpi is very low resolution for anything that does need to be rasterized).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately I think we don't have this function yet... 

Just adding my interest in this function... it would be really nice if there was some way to pass editable text to some Adobe application... I found that you can edit if you save the file in .PDF, open it in Illustrator and save it in .PSD ... maybe this will help to find a more direct way to save to PSD with editable text...

Regards

• 3 months later...
Just now, DylanGG said:

Any updates?

No.

Though a workaround has been suggested by a user. It appears that Photopea can open Affinity files, and can export a PSD file with editable text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
14 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Does this feature is available on Version 2? Please say yes. 

No.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, ashf said:

Unfortunately not yet.

I have faith that it will be on 2.1 Affinity knows the struggle. Just an PSD editable text export will do. I don't need effect, plugins, add-ons or any of the other Adobe crap inside a PSD file. I just need editable text. That's all.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

8 hours ago, albertkinng said:

I have faith that it will be on 2.1 Affinity knows the struggle. Just an PSD editable text export will do. I don't need effect, plugins, add-ons or any of the other Adobe crap inside a PSD file. I just need editable text. That's all.

It is one of those areas that Serif "would like to improve someday", but as it involves complex reverse-engineering of an undocumented area of the PSD format, my guess is that other things have a higher priority, and this one will not happen soon.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

involves complex reverse-engineering of an undocumented area of the PSD format

Pixelmator Pro, Photopea, and Acorn export editable text. Why? Those apps are intended for professional users. Even one click background eraser is a default feature on the OS itself and other apps take advantage of it. I’m not saying you’re giving excuses for a lack of features. I’m just saying they can’t ignore who these apps are designed for. This is not for mom’s free time to do some photo crafts laptop. Even Linux has apps that offer that. You know how sad I was today buying Pixelmator Pro just for editable psd export and instant selection? I mean, I paid $99 for a great bundle but we need that bundle to achieve our needs. 

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com