You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving an updated (refined) selection

Greetings,  --- If i make a selection then I save it as a spare channel and give it a name.  However, if it is an intricate selection then I save it after say, half an hour's work, in case of loss in some way.

Then I continue to refine the selection.  To save the updated selection and successors, then I have Horse ,  then later Horse 2 and then, Horse 3.  This seems a laborious way to me!  How can I update my selection by simply updating my  spare channel, or some other way, please?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Seems a good way to do this because you have versions of a selection,  if you then wanted to go back a few steps you could, if you continue to overwrite a selection you may save something in error and have to start over from the beginning, it also makes it easier to experiment without much loss. Once you are happy with the final selection just delete the channels you don't want.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, Jaffa said:

How can I update my selection by simply updating my  spare channel, or some other way, please?

Have you considered saving the selection to a file instead of a spare channel? That way, you could overwrite a previously saved one by saving with the same name. (I haven't tested this but I think it should work.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Umh  R C-R !  Am not keen on saving it as a file.  I do a lot of editing and I would then have to remember that I had created a file, whereas easy to look at Channels and see that there is a Channel called "Horse" for instance, so I then know that is the selection.  Also, the danger of losing files etc.  :/

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

On 5/31/2018 at 7:00 AM, Jaffa said:

Greetings,  --- If i make a selection then I save it as a spare channel and give it a name.  However, if it is an intricate selection then I save it after say, half an hour's work, in case of loss in some way.

Then I continue to refine the selection.  To save the updated selection and successors, then I have Horse ,  then later Horse 2 and then, Horse 3.  This seems a laborious way to me!  How can I update my selection by simply updating my  spare channel, or some other way, please?

I sometimes use duplicate layers for complex selection. Mainly because they are a bit more accessible than channels and faster to use. The layers panel is usually open, so you won't even need to look in Channels and scroll down to see what is the selection.

Make the selection, then press Ctrl + J to duplicate. That puts just the selected area on a new layer.

Ctrl + click on the duplicate layer thumbnail to reselect the selection at any time. Either delete the duplicated layer which moves the selection focus to the original layer or keep that version (in case of accidents) and select the original layer.

Press Ctrl + J to save the new selection version when ready.

You can rename the duplicate layer "horse" if you want :)

The other benefit is, you can quickly hide the original layer and view just the duplicate layer to see exactly what you have selected so far, pixel by pixel The marching ants  make that rather difficult normally.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

8 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Umh  R C-R !  Am not keen on saving it as a file.  I do a lot of editing and I would then have to remember that I had created a file, whereas easy to look at Channels and see that there is a Channel called "Horse" for instance, so I then know that is the selection.  Also, the danger of losing files etc.  :/

If you put the *.afselection file in the same folder as the *.afphoto file & give it the same name, it should be easy enough to find it, particularly if you use File > Show in Finder (or Show in Explorer if you are on Windows). As for losing files, it is the same as for *.afphoto ones, & should never be a problem if you have a sound backup strategy. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello All,

I'm trying to make a selection and I've used the steps mentioned above SELECT>SAVE SELECTION>AS SPARE CHANNEL however when I load from the selection it comes up with outline which also happens to complete wrong size for image i'm trying put it on.

All I'm trying to do is remove a beach hut from a picture I took and put said beach hut onto a mountain background I took (or any background really) but how do I do this? I've been playing with this for about an hour now and for the life of me can't figure it out?

Please help for sanity and stress level

Daryll

20 minutes ago, Daryll said:

Hello All,

I'm trying to make a selection and I've used the steps mentioned above SELECT>SAVE SELECTION>AS SPARE CHANNEL however when I load from the selection it comes up with outline which also happens to complete wrong size for image i'm trying put it on.

All I'm trying to do is remove a beach hut from a picture I took and put said beach hut onto a mountain background I took (or any background really) but how do I do this? I've been playing with this for about an hour now and for the life of me can't figure it out?

Please help for sanity and stress level

Daryll

Try watching this, it's not a beach hut but there is a mountain (sort of) ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

22 hours ago, toltec said:

Try watching this, it's not a beach hut but there is a mountain (sort of) ;)

Perfect Cheers Toltec,

For some reason the mask and copy and paste options weren't working, I think it may have been because I had done some in-painting prior?

I have done now though by duplicating the layer and deleting the previous layer leaving only the beach hut I wanted.

Thanks for your Help