You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Measurement tool(s)

Hi Affinity team.

I am using Affinity for Mac, both the Designer and Photo, almost full time now.

I have happily uninstalled Adobe software and found I can live without the dreaded Illustrator and I can create my artwork much better with the Designer.

I am still learning the Affinity Photo, but I am happy I don't depend on Adobe's monthly payment. 

One important but missing thing in the Designer is the measuring tool. I design a variety of things, including test charts (as included in this as attachment) which require precision and details. To achieve the precision I need to have info at glance when a select/draw lines or shapes like squares for example, and I need to know their exact dimensions (in mm or pixels). This seems to be very difficult if not impossible.  I am getting a work around by seeing the info at the bottom right in the Transform window, but nothing is straight forward as I need to make calculations between x and y coordinate to find out the length of a single line for example. Also, I found it frustrating that I can't move the origin of the coordinated system (0,0) top left hand corner to anywhere I like in the screen and start measuring things from a new origin.  

Why is this so difficult to implement such a simple function in a beautiful program like Designer?

Affinity test chart artwork.jpg