You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, hey guys, I've been trying to learn how to draw using Designer, I think I have been making some progress but a simple part that has been bugging me, how do you erase a curve drawn with the Vector Brush Tool ( I don't even know if that is the right tool to be used to draw with) Whenever I try to erase something I did a little while ago I rather not have to undo everything else I have done to get to that point, and rasterizing seems to either make it pixel-ly or still doesn't allow me to erase the stuff I drew before. Am I using the right tool to draw, or do I need to change a setting or something

If you use the Vector Brush Tool, is similar to using the Pen Tool. What I mean by that? That you can only break and delete Nodes from that line.

Break.png

Break2.png

Best regards!

Right now there is no Vector Eraser Tool. If I remember correctly, there are plans for it to happen. So, right now:

• For lines, this is the method I know of (by actually erasing, without masking it).
  • For closed shapes, you could use the the Boolean Operations or a Compound. Like the following example:

Pseudo_Eraser.png

What I did was simply using the Vector Brush Tool, then I expanded the stroke and created the Compound.

Best regards!

18 hours ago, The Lightning Phoenix said:

So there is no direct way to erase it with the eraser tool such as drawing stuff directly into the layer instead of curves under the layer?
However, thanks, at least I don't have to redraw everything I did before

You can "erase" using the Erase brush in the Pixel Persona although what it does is apply a mask layer to the vector curve or shape.

mask.jpg.d150a0975cfca44dd4bda4210168d368.jpg

Here I "erased" the bottom right part of the polygon.

poly.jpg.40dd1e5b790a4570105359f31a8eb06c.jpg

The original shape is still there, unmodified, so you could recover it or even remove or modify the mask.

It's not the same as erasing by deleting nodes or using boolean operation as Mitherion describes but it is handy sometimes.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

19 hours ago, The Lightning Phoenix said:

So there is no direct way to erase it with the eraser tool such as drawing stuff directly into the layer instead of curves under the layer?

You can't really "erase" part of a vector object, only (as has been mentioned) alter the path that defines it, like with a boolean operation, or by deleting or moving some of its nodes. There is a Knife tool mentioned on the Affinity Designer Roadmap, which should offer another way to do this, but the details of how it will work have not been mentioned. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On May 31, 2018 at 4:59 PM, R C-R said:

You can't really "erase" part of a vector object, only (as has been mentioned) alter the path that defines it, like with a boolean operation, or by deleting or moving some of its nodes. There is a Knife tool mentioned on the Affinity Designer Roadmap, which should offer another way to do this, but the details of how it will work have not been mentioned. 

From that link: "The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones."

I wish we knew how far down on the unseen part of the list a vector erase tool is :/.

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

I wish we knew how far down on the unseen part of the list a vector erase tool is :/.

I do not see a vector erase tool on the list, just a Knife tool, which I assume will cut a shape into two shapes (or maybe more if it path based).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I do not see a vector erase tool on the list, just a Knife tool, which I assume will cut a shape into two shapes (or maybe more if it path based).

LOL yes I see that too. My point is that the list doesn't get any longer than what it is. When something is completed, something on the unseen "waiting" list takes it's place.

That means vector erase could be #13 or #43 for all we know. 

4 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

That means vector erase could be #13 or #43 for all we know. 

So how would this vector erase work? Unless it is some kind of brush-based tool, what would it do that a path-based knife tool could not?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, dutchshader said:

So you want a (round only?) brush based eraser tool?

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, owenr said:

You "paint" an invisible vector shape which is Boolean subtracted on-the-fly from vector objects.

So I assumed from the videos. However, as I understand it the shape is always invisible & circular, with the only its diameter being adjustable, as if it was a round brush.

Personally, I would much rather have a path based Knife tool that let me see exactly where I was cutting, complete with options similar to the Pen & Node tools for defining the cutting path. 

Affinity Photo 

45 minutes ago, R C-R said:

as I understand it the shape is always invisible & circular 

I don’t see any reason why the shape needs to be either invisible or circular. It could be displayed using a semitransparent colour, like the ‘Refine Selection’ brush, and there could be a choice of several shapes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So I assumed from the videos. However, as I understand it the shape is always invisible & circular, with the only its diameter being adjustable, as if it was a round brush.

Yes it's like a brush. It's like the knife tool with area.

Not invisible per se, there's an outline just like a raster brush.

And not always circular. U can adjust the angle and width... Zero width is a straight edge. And you can set all that up to respond to a stylus using all the usual inputs: pressure speed etc. Or u can just alt drag out a perfect square or rectangle shape. Can also be used to erase whole objects when each it touched. 

But what I like most is that I can just flip my pen around and just start erasing like an (interactive adjustable) eraser on the back of a pencil.

Think of it as reductive sculpting while using the same sketch pen motion.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Personally, I would much rather have a path based Knife tool that let me see exactly where I was cutting, complete with options similar to the Pen & Node tools for defining the cutting path. 

Okay. But you can see how others might really like it. Right?? :o

I don't think it's a one vs the other type of situation. They do quite different things. For precision work, of course I'm going to get it there with more control. I like/want the knife functionality too... and scissor action to boot!

49 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I don't think it's a one vs the other type of situation.

No, obviously it is not. However, a knife tool is on the list & promised for version 1. Just guessing, but I suspect an eraser tool like you described is not going to be a v1 feature. What I hope for in V1 is a path based knife tool like I described (with support for nodes & such).

38 minutes ago, owenr said:

Of course, but R C-R is in his usual naysayer mode.

One day I am confident you will understand the difference between expressing a personal preference & naysaying. But apparently today is not that day. :(

Affinity Photo