You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[invalid] Partial stroke support

I'd like to request the ability to apply stroke to a specific side of an object, for example the bottom of a rectangle.

The use case for this would be elements in web design, where often you want the ability to apply a grey border between items. Another ticket similar, or perhaps the same, has already been raised here. However this could be quite tricky to represent in the UI as an object could have many sides.

As such, my proposal would be for an additional context menu item which allowed sides to show/hide stroke. By default, all sides would show stroke, but if 'show' is clicked on a side, then it would disable for all sides and then show only that one. Likewise if you unhide the last shown side, then it shows them all. 

Here is a very poor mockup example;

http://i.imgur.com/g1uwBZw.png

Thoughts?

Cal

Such a feature would really be taking the original idea of paths some place different. Like: it would require a rethink on how to code them, which would probably effect a path's compatibility with the many other vector programs out there, and the ability to export to other vector formats.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just a whole "other" idea.

Meanwhile, a work-around that comes to mind is:

- Duplicate the path, leaving it in place.

- On the duplicate path, delete all the sides/segments that you _don't_ want to be different.

- Stroke or unstroke the remaining side/segment to taste;

- Select original and the duplicate, and group them.

Actually, you have a good point. I only just discovered "line mode" in the pen tool, which pretty much does everything that I need, and is a lot more flexible than my originally suggested idea.

Sorry for the waste of time, I should have researched the pen tool properly before submitting, thank you for the feedback!