You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke on groups (Designer)

A few of things about applying strokes to groups:

1. It would be nice to have this working, i.e stroke apply to resulting object, rather than each of the children.
  2. Why does applying a stroke to a group containing a pixel layer, essentially apply a fill?
  3. When attempting 2, there seems to be a performance issue (high CPU usage).

51 minutes ago, smth said:
  • It would be nice to have this working.

It mostly seems to work for me, but see below.

53 minutes ago, smth said:
  • Why, currently, does applying a stroke essentially apply a fill?

I can't reproduce that here, but if I try to apply either a stroke or a fill to a group which includes a 'Pixel' layer the chosen colour covers the entire canvas. The operation works as expected when I include an 'Image' layer instead of a 'Pixel' layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, smth said:
  1. It would be nice to have this working, i.e stroke apply to resulting object, rather than each of the children.

Hi @smth,

I think this is because a 'group' is not a vector object but rather a 'logical' object (I don't know how the programmers would call it).
In other words a 'logical' object does not have a vector outline and that's why it can not have a stroke.

An easy (but no on click operation) workaround is to draw a rectangle on top of the group (snapping enabled) and give it a stroke.

Another thought: is the 'group stroke' limited to rectangles? Should there be circles and ovals, too? :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Yes, the workaround (that I currently use) is to replicate the shape of the group. I'm suggesting it would be nice if this could be done automagically :) Should definitely not be limited to any one shape, but be the result of all the shapes in the group, as if you had flattened it.

@smth A couple of options…

1. Use the Outline Layer Effect.

Or

2. Use symbols

• Make a symbol from the Group
  • Add duplicate of the Symbol aligned with the original.
  • De-Sync the symbol and add a Stroke to the original.
  • Re-Sync the symbol, and changes will propagate.

2132505200_AffinitySymbolsforGroupStroke.gif.2189cc995bf529d69f6372f9c183ee82.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro