You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before but I think the answer will be interesting.

Basically what I'm asking is: What functionality does Designer have that Publisher will not have?
Or, to put it another way: Once I have Publisher, what will I need Designer for?

There has been a lot of discussion about what functionality Publisher should have but I've not read anything about what Publisher will not - or should not - have.

I only ask as Designer already does most of what a DTP application should do except for things like text flow, linked frames, and some other stuff, so I'm wondering how Designer and Publisher will be different from each other.

For instance, will Publisher have the Pixel persona and pixel tools that Designer has, or will those be dropped?
Or will Publisher have fewer effects or adjustments? Or will Publisher have fewer export options? Etc. Etc.

If, to put it simply, "Publisher = Designer + Other Tools" then there would be no need for Designer, so I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that something will be "missing" and I was just wondering what that will be.

Does anyone have any actual details? (I realise that Publisher isn't in Beta yet but I would guess that someone must have a reasonable idea about what it will/won't do so near to a release date.)

Currently EXISTING.

More serious: Watch the teaser video, it shows a couple of things. Otherwise no-one knows what will make the first version yet. Be patient for just a little while longer and all your wonderings will be addressed.

52 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Be patient for just a little while longer and all your wonderings will be addressed ...

... keeping in mind that while the beta should be available some time this summer, it probably will be several more months before the first retail version will be released, & that probably will be updated some months after that with improved & added features.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There may be few things which Affinity Designer currently has that Affinity Publisher won’t also have, but I can see several features on the AD version 1.x roadmap which are not needed in a page layout app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I've got no problem with being patient and can pootle along with what I've got until Publisher comes out. (I would prefer to wait longer to see a pretty solid beta rather than rushing into an annoyingly buggy early release.)
I was just wondering how much I would have to switch between the two - AD/APu - to get stuff done.

Say I'm putting a publication together in APu and I need to use a function that's only in AD, would I have to: save in APu; close in APu; then open in AD; do some changes in AD; then save in AD; close in AD; then re-open in APu to continue? Or would it be easier than that?

All of the software I use at the moment comes from different places so there's no integration between them.

My current work-flow consists of things like: edit DTP document; open image in image editor; manipulate image; save image; back to DTP and update image; repeat until the image looks right; open vector editor; manipulate vector; save vector; back to DTP, delete old vector and import manipulated vector; repeat until the vector looks right on the page; and so on and so forth. It can be a bit of a faff-on at times.

It would be nice if AD and APu would integrate much more nicely than that but there may still be some switching back and forth, which is where my original question came from. Knowing how much functionality would be "lost" from AD to APu might tell me how much switching I could expect to have to do.

It is all guesswork for now but my guess is the File menu will have the same "Edit in ..." feature that we have now that enables switching between Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer without having to close or save the document, & all 3 apps will have the other two on that menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you have a close look at the teaser video, it shows Designer and Photo buttons in the upper left corner. MattP has teased that he's not allowed to say what they do but that it's never been done before and that it's really exciting (this in somewhere in the Affinity Publisher Teasier Video Post) ... so I'm sure there's going to be some REALLY tight integration.

Ah, right, I see what you mean. I didn't spot them before. That's very interesting.
If switching between the Affinity applications happens as simply as moving between personas - which is what it looks like it could be - then that would make my question/concerns pretty much irrelevant. Lovely stuff (fingers crossed).