You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste to pixel layer default instead of image layer

I'm switching from Photoshop and the first problem I encountered was pasting an image from clipboard into a new document, making a selection and hitting ctrl+X expecting just the selection to be removed, but apparently it has to be rasterized first. I can't see why Affinity needs to default to an image layer instead of a pixel layer upon pasting, so until I can set a preference to default paste to a pixel layer to allow this, I'll be sticking with Photoshop. Program looks excellent though, wish this wasn't a deal-breaker for me (and yes, it is too much trouble to do this after every paste, after 20 years of PS, I'll never be able to change my habits, nor do I see a reason to).

I'm not the only one: 

No, I think you need to do the rasterize if you're going to create a new document and then paste an image onto it.

I think that it comes in as an image object when you paste as that will allow you to easily move it around and/or resize it to match the other document contents by using the Move tool. If it came in as a pixel object you wouldn't be able to do that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think that it comes in as an image object when you paste as that will allow you to easily move it around and/or resize it to match the other document contents by using the Move tool. If it came in as a pixel object you wouldn't be able to do that.

Hi @walt.farrell

I think you are correct. The help file explaines:

You can add additional photos and raster images to your page as a new layer.

Photos and images placed in this way can be replaced using the options on the context toolbar.

The image's embedded colour profile will always be converted to the document's current working space.

The placed image is added as an image layer rather than a pixel layer. This allows its native resolution to be kept. Some brush operations (e.g., cloning, dodging, etc.) will automatically rasterize image layers to the document resolution; inpainting on an image layer will require manually rasterization via right-click of the image layer in the Layers panel. You can control automatic rasterization behaviour using the Assistant.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Just now, elvisish said:

Well is there a way so that Ctrl+X doesn't cut the whole image of the layer isn't a pixel layer? I've never had this problem in any other tool, could this be set as a preference?

Hi @elvisish,

currently there is no option to cut parts of image layers. You have to rasterize the image layer first.

Maybe they come up with some solution to this in the future. Copying parts of an image layer is not as trivial as it looks like. That's why there is a distinction between image and pixel layers.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

30 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @elvisish,

currently there is no option to cut parts of image layers. You have to rasterize the image layer first.

Maybe they come up with some solution to this in the future. Copying parts of an image layer is not as trivial as it looks like. That's why there is a distinction between image and pixel layers.

d.

Until then, is it possible to rasterise the layer automatically? I understand that a pixel layer is exactly the same as when you paste an image into a document in Photoshop?

9 minutes ago, elvisish said:

Until then, is it possible to rasterise the layer automatically? I understand that a pixel layer is exactly the same as when you paste an image into a document in Photoshop?

Hi @elvisish,

I don't think there is an option to do this automatically.

Sorry, I can't give you an answer to the Photoshop part of your question :(

d.

1 hour ago, dominik said:

Hi @elvisish,

I don't think there is an option to do this automatically.

Sorry, I can't give you an answer to the Photoshop part of your question :(

d.

Thanks anyways! I really want to switch to affinity, but my workflow would be slowed down by having to rasterise after every paste into document. If there's any other way of either auto-rasterising or getting selection cuts for layers on the roadmap I'd be most grateful!

3 hours ago, haakoo said:

so it's just a click and a keyboard button and it's done.

Or, it's just a right-click in the layers panel and choose Rasterize, which might be just as fast in some cases. The learning curve, to remember to do it, is probably the more difficult aspect of this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, elvisish said:

It depends of the files you paste in Photoshop.

For some it'll ask you if you want to paste it as "different options to select from", for some you'll get a resizable object (with a cross on it), and you'll have to resize and validate for Photoshop to rasterize it or keep it as an object.

It's really usefull to keep the image layer, and be able later to modify the ppi/dpi of this image.

Perhaps an option can be added to paste at the same dpi than the parent file, but it can be easier too if AP, AD and APub keep the same behaviour when pasting in a document.

8 hours ago, Wosven said:

It depends of the files you paste in Photoshop.

For some it'll ask you if you want to paste it as "different options to select from", for some you'll get a resizable object (with a cross on it), and you'll have to resize and validate for Photoshop to rasterize it or keep it as an object.

It's really usefull to keep the image layer, and be able later to modify the ppi/dpi of this image.

Perhaps an option can be added to paste at the same dpi than the parent file, but it can be easier too if AP, AD and APub keep the same behaviour when pasting in a document.

I've never had any option come up when pasting a clipboard image into a new document in PS, it just goes in and Affinity does match new document size to the clipboard image size like PS does. Whatever method PS uses (and countless other photo tools) is fine by me, what sort of preference or setting would need to be added for Affinity to function the same?