You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Adobe resignation. Anyone else packed it in with them?

2 hours ago, marcdraco said:

Closed source Blackmagic Resolve toasts Premier and After Effects although as a professional app it has a very steep learning curve.

I'm all for capabilities, even if the UI is hard... it went perfect with Blender after some years..... ;) 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Blender is divine isn't it - although the UI (to misquote my friend) "looks like it was designed with all the charm and forethought of a sneeze".

There is a "freemium" version of Resolve of course. The way Serif is going right now though, it's going to be the one to watch. I'm just waiting on Publisher being released so I can give them the money! I just can't justify Designer right now as Photo does everything I need on a day-to-day basis.

I would hope if Serif does decide to put pressure on Hitfilm/Premier they stick with a node-based approach. Layers are all fine and nice until things start to get a little complicated and then it all goes to hell in a handcart.

On 10/5/2018 at 3:08 PM, marcdraco said:

The only one I can't agree with here is Hitfilm (although it's free). There are some better FOSS (Open Source) apps. Hitfilm is geared to home users and that starts to show as soon as you push it into serious projects.

Closed source Blackmagic Resolve toasts Premier and After Effects although as a professional app it has a very steep learning curve.

Well you are right dear but i always believed that software mastery actually depends on many factors related to the individual himself, personally i can't stand blender nor premiere but on the other hand i feel very inspired and well sited with Davincy Resolve (when it was working on my Mac) and HitFilm is just and simply Okay !
BTW ... i Will give it a try and see what blender has become and even have to offer, to technical is not good enough for me Lo'.

Blessings !

Edited by Arnaud Mez
making my comment understandable

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

21 hours ago, SrPx said:

I'm all for capabilities, even if the UI is hard... it went perfect with Blender after some years..... ;) 

btw You can be sure you made the right choice with Blender too. Eventhough it's free, it's more and more becoming innovative software that's really starting to compete with other 3d modelling software on the market, their update frequency is pretty high and people are developing addons for everything which is great. I think the greacepencil object is a great example of their innovative ideas; making 2D animating illustrations inside a full 3D world is just briljant and a lot of artists are gonna use it for sure! And wait 'till 2.8 is there! That will be a big leap forward! Just saying ;)

Yeah 2.8 is a huge leap - I'd say a quantum jump but that would only be ironic and most people wouldn't get the irony.

I do (did) a lot of high-end rendering for low-budget film work with Blender but even with some fairly serious hardware, and sending some jobs off to server farms, the results from Cycles took too long. Things have improved somewhat with the latest versions and like Blender, it just keeps getting better, but, as you're alluding WigglePixel, Eevee is a game-changer. It might not be 100% correct, but it's the difference between rendering 1-2 seconds (24-48 frames) in seconds or waiting 24-48 hours for better results. In VFX at low-budget, people just won't notice. Hell, some of the recent films out of Hollyweird have had some questionable VFX in places.

Until Serif releases their DAM—XnView MP is the best offer that reads both .afphoto and .afdesign for Windows and presumably Mac ... and of course as it's open source—no cost!

Double click the thumbnail for the full screen (open in separate window).

Ironically it currently doesn't read Gimp 2.10 files! 

XnView-MP-Screen-Shot-1.jpg

XnView-MP-Screen-Shot-2.jpg

Oh, not seen that before @PedroOfOz. I've used a couple of others like Darktable which also does RAW of course. It's another one for the toolbox, so thanks!

Oh wait, it's not actually FOSS, there's a small licence cost for commercial use. Still not bad I guess. 

Edited by marcdraco
Updated to include commerical fee.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:55 PM, marcdraco said:

Blender is divine isn't it - although the UI (to misquote my friend) "looks like it was designed with all the charm and forethought of a sneeze".

Seems I've left this thread pretty unanswered, lately, despite going in a very interesting route. I'm just stupidly busy, lately. Yep, it is. Is not for everyone, IMO, but for those who get the feeling of it, it becomes really flexible, powerful and a totally PRO tool. STILL... .I would not advice anyone getting into mainstream industry learning this instead of Maya/Max. This is sth I've seen posted wrong during the years. For mainstream industry, the large company jobs, is those two. Get into some academy, or learn by your self (today, IMO, one is loosing time if doesn't use the FINALLY average joe/jane affordable learning resources. I'm talking bout courses costing about 50$ a month, or a pack of courses of 200 bucks or sth, if you are already some what self trained, that's all you need. To really land safely into a job, without no big risk of unemployment, two things... Better if go physically to an academy and prepare there in 3-4 years. Also, like always in jobs, study the status of the field: Right now, character modeling is vastly overcrowded. If you like as well other fields, pick another one if you want a not so hard job hunting (that said by a character modeler who already has worked at companies, but only small and mid size studios, which ain't what I'm talking about right here. Small mid size studios have requirements that in terms of package choice flexibility, are somewhat in the midst of a mainstream high end job, and just freelancing (where all what counts is if you can output high end, quality results, not so much the tool)

For freelancing, or working for studios, or small business (that is, not only freelancing for them, also contracted as staff) for which the tool is not so important as it is to deliver, YEAH, Blender is a Winner. Also, as staff you are able to provide 'em a workflow based on a free tool, if they need 3 seats, you are saving them an amazing ton of money for a small studio / small business (when I mention that, I refer to companies not even related to audio visual, just needing the thing, as opposed to studios)

The UI at 2.79 (I always go with stable, before I used to go even with the nightly builds, graphicall and etc) still has quite to be desired, but that said, I have NOT tried yet 2.8, which, yes, is told everywhere not to be just another version, but a revolution. In many senses. And really worth purchasing a new video card to really make full use of its advantages.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:55 PM, marcdraco said:

I just can't justify Designer right now as Photo does everything I need on a day-to-day basis.

Well.... If you do anything raster (I mean, image editing)... It'd be justified !  It's a joy to use, too.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:13 PM, Arnaud Mez said:

Well you are right dear but i always believed that software mastery actually depends on many factors related to the individual himself, personally i can't stand blender nor premiere but on the other hand i feel very inspired and well sited with Davincy Resolve

Not everyone has to like Blender, the UI is very one of its own. What is more important, not everyone for every niche/area of work has in it an ideal tool. I have talked to you about your line of work, and unless you get a lot into 3D, maybe is not the best effort channeling area (Blender require quite some dedication, like any full blown 3D package, or more for being a very different UI . Altho this difficulty is told to change, at least for the first learning curve, in 2.8.  The newcomers "entrance" will have it much easier... While is not what excites me of 2.8, business -wise, might be one of the most important things: I'll only handle the complex UI, tho)... If doing a lot of 3D works for video FX, well, then it'd depend. Davinci can do a lot by itself. It depends.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:13 PM, Arnaud Mez said:

. i Will give it a try and see what blender has become and even have to offer, to technical is not good enough for me Lo'.

It wont hurt you at all. Knowing how to handle a largely capable 3D tool is always very useful, even if you would need it only eventually for that 3D intro logo gig, or that project with some viz stuff in it, or for animation gig, etc. But I think you are developing mostly in the 2D area (correct me if I am wrong) . I work in both as I had to train myself in both large areas, yes or yes. Ppl think I did it out of passion... only a fraction of it would be true... If u ask me,  I would have loved NEVER having to have learnt other thing than comics drawing and oil/acrylics painting. But the plate of food doesn't fill itself alone. Have tried, concentrating my mind powers, but it doesn't happen  ;) 

On 10/6/2018 at 4:54 PM, wigglepixel said:

btw You can be sure you made the right choice with Blender too.

Me? ... for freelancing...YES. absolutely. To offer 3D works at no cost once working at a company, as part of the staff...? Totally, too. Proved that to myself and to others. For working at larger companies, mostly video games, architecture, and VR, (locally, is where ALL the jobs are, even in my entire country and nearby ones, in these 3 areas, in 3D)  focusing in Blender is not the way, IMO, but in Max/Maya, Zbrush and now the Substance package (S. Painter and S. Designer). Going other route (Houdini for film, quite recommended, but I'm not really into the film/FX realm, as I only "target" the industry that "exists" in my area. If one dislikes a nomad life (had a taste of that) , one has to always care for local jobs, at least the ones in nearby cities, and as much, nearby countries. Strongly wishing that now that humanity has visited the moon, we're getting so advanced with AI, VR, robotics, big data, etc, some minds and powers that be realize that remote work and all the resources, power and flexibility it can provide to companies, should become a more extended reality (it is not yet there...).

Eventhough it's free, it's more and more becoming innovative software that's really starting to compete with other 3d modelling software on the market,

Yep. For freelancing, for me ( I do mostly static work, or just some seconds stuff) is already good enough. 

their update frequency is pretty high and people are developing addons for everything which is great.

Indeed! Just few days ago it freaking SAVED an entire project. I was using a tool for 3D printing... and was having all sort of issues.... In an act of almost desperation, (all the 3D work been done with Wings 3D as main modeler, Blender for everything else) switched to that last bit, 3D print files preparation, to be made with the now official addon for 3D print in Blender. Guess what.. last time I visited it, it was not cutting it... It has a few features for auto fix... but at this time of the movie, with a bunch of 3D projects already done, I've come to realize I don't want auto-fix anymore.... This addon really spot extremely well (better than some specialized high end utilities in the commercial realm!!! ) all the freaking issues. And as I'm inside of Blender, I freaking know what's going on with every issue, so ... It allows me to select the offending faces, I go there and freaking fix the cr4p. Slower, but nicer, more professional, waaaay cleaner, and no overall extra-loss produced by some of those auto-fix tools (even the auto tool in the addon can produce that, so I only use it to detect the bad stuff). That's how important it is getting to be... saving a freaking project delivering milestones where it was going the way of the Dodo....

On 10/6/2018 at 5:01 PM, marcdraco said:

Yeah 2.8 is a huge leap -

INDEED. Real time 3D rendering  in the viewport with just an average-low card. Of course, I believe I will still be rendering in CPU (often large scenes) and with Cycles, but also as I do mostly statics or very short anims. I will keep rendering with Cycles for Vray-like projects. Still, I can see how it must absolutely rock for anim projects during production. And must be a joy to do complex 3D paint, shading, sculpting with it ! 

And that's only a small part of this new version advantages. Like the stuff of several UIs modes, and a ton of stuff more.

the results from Cycles took too long.

Yeah, it always depends on what is your usage... you seem to be more into animation.

The latest de-noising features are mind blowing, tho, that removes a lot of problems we had.

Eevee is a game-changer.

Yep (for other people: this new thing in Blender of of very richly  rendering in the viewport at real time). Eevee has its uses and limitations, tho. But that is only its beginning, has a very bright future.

but it's the difference between rendering 1-2 seconds (24-48 frames) in seconds or waiting 24-48 hours for better results. In VFX at low-budget, people just won't notice.

Indeed. But... depends on your scene size, right ? I don't plan any time soon to purchase a 12GB card, not unless 3D becomes again my main activity .... (is not...). For production tho, one can serve of many tricks to saving memory, or even work with low res textures, etc, till a final production.

3 hours ago, marcdraco said:

Oh wait, it's not actually FOSS, there's a small licence cost for commercial use. Still not bad I guess. 

Neither is Affinity ! A jewel is a jewel, FOSS or not.  :) I don't make that distinction anymore (if anything, I'd often favor more a commercial app over a FOSS for my own convenience, despite by passion being in favor of FOSS...but...the plate of food...again)  ...for me is all about the price/performance/quality ratio, as a freelance, cheap, mid cost, foss, or whatever. If working at a large company (not the case late years), there's only the performance/quality ratio, of course.( the usual golden pack of established tools)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

6 minutes ago, CathieLive said:

Thanks @PedroOfOz is there a free trial version of XnView MP? Would be handy to test it out first. I can't see a free trial thing on their website. 

Cheers,

Cathie 

yep... it lacks, its site, in info, imo... but don't get discouraged by that.... 

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/#downloads  

scroll down quite, there's mac/linux/windows versions.

oh... but you said trials... is more than that... is FREEWARE. Is just that you need a license if you intend to use it commercially. But no nags, or time limited trial, nothing. Full usage.

4 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Indeed! Just few days ago it freaking SAVED an entire project.

Yes, it can work out great. Don't know if you know how to program, but you should try Python in Blender. If you know what you're doing that can really speed up your process! Happy desiging and moddeling!

Well, my python skills go little beyond doing a text parser or some web gallery, lol.... 

@SrPx Blender is slowly making ways into larger VFX and Animation studios as well. Just look at Tangent Animation's NexGen, and all the work done by Barnstorm VFX on primetime shows (both are Blender-based studios). Something unthinkable only 7 years ago.

But yeah, if you are planning a career on current job requirements in the animation industry, Maya still rules. Houdini is more or less required for many VFX jobs too.

As a freelancer or Indie outfit/small team I'd say go Blender all out - which is already the case anyway with many game devs.

I don't know ( really, I don't) if Netflix mid cost productions are helping the development of mid size studios which can clearly benefit from using Blender  (for cutting huge costs) and similar tools in other areas. I suspect it could be, but , sincerely , I don't know. As I mentioned, until remote work ( grrr, is about time...at least for these jobs!) becomes globally more of a common (and better regulated/helped..tho I just need a more frequent offer instead of so many in-site jobs...they need our skills, but we wont move so freaking far...) thing, I'm all about my local area : This means mostly my country, and with some effort... with the right conditions, maybe one or two nearby countries.

Well, I have only seen in a bunch of years very few job offers film / animation/  FX related! Or for other animation related works. And actually , in those very rare offers,  these are indeed the skills mostly requested in those (locally in my area) : Adobe CC After Effects (which I recon I've never really handled...Premiere, yep, loved it)...and....you wont believe it... but, for animated TV shows, having quite certain strong production (for a European country's producer of certain importance...oh, and even a FILM studio (actual mainstream movies) in a city of my region) ..it was.... 3DS MAX !!!. Not Maya, not Houdini. Crazy, but that's a fact, around here. U learn max, and u have jobs ( here, as every part of the world is different, but I guess is a quite common situation in parts that aren't Silicon Valley or main game areas in the US, or the specific areas of UK, Australia, France or Canada for this) in my area in :  CAD/architecture ( a load of jobs in the past, not so much now, obviously....well, is strong in CAD(due to certain industry going well), lately, but am not into that, in training),  VR (very strong now), video games( so-so, around here, but there are "some" jobs...typically quite crappy, tho),  events organization , and even things like production related stuff for shoes making, etc. Everyone and their dog ask for 3DS Max know-how around here. Luckily, is in what I had my main work experience in 3D stuff (4 companies), but a bit rusted since last 3D job in 2006. Again, when at an interview, if ur lucky (typically not my case, the HR person tends not to be an old 3D pro) and the person knows the stuff, knows as well that if one worked heavily with Max, it has changed quite little since then, in the core, even less of an issue if one has stayed doing a lot of 3D with an alternative but very deep package like Blender. If the only personal aim of whoever is to hunt jobs (but is not my case), then that's an act of stupidity instead of ONLY focusing on Max, Maya, Zbrush and the substance package. Again, films/FX is a totally different beast. I'm speaking only about those another locally available fields, that as you can see, are a bunch....Even so, ALL together (in my area) make a really poor job offer, in salaries, in amount of offers... extremely poor. So much that I moved back to be a front-end coder (polishing/refreshing my skills for that!)  As I'm no longer wishing to keep in the freelance realm (not solely).

A pack formed by 3D/2D tools like Blender, Affinity, Davinci, CSP, etc,  is IMO spot-on for freelancing. ( and some of us will ALWAYS freelance, even as a side thing, having a job).

@SrPx completely with you on what you said about Blender and the UI (as I've said before) still looks like it was put together with all the charm and forethought of sneeze. The post 2.5 releases (from memory) replaced the real rip-snorter with a slightly more suppressed ach-cho. It's still awful and because of the "Not invented here" attitude of many Blenderheads (most of whom, unlike me, don't remember when Blender was an in-house project) it's rather hard to get a meaningful discussion on rectifying that. 

As you've said, it's a tool. I'm going to give LuxCoreRender a go soon - that combines the full compute power of the nVidia/AMD chips with the full core potential of whatever you happen to be running on. My 6gb card just isn't quite big enough to render large/complex scenes and even with 32 threads, things are still slow. Combining the two might just give me the edge I need. I'll be interested to see what happens with Eeveee and if it proves to be something more than just a glorified GL renderer. (I know it's a trick, but it's  damn good trick.) In film it's largely a case of how long something is static on the screen - it's amazing what you can hide in a little bit of motion blur - god I love 24FPS!

Although I use Affinity for my everyday "memes" (they're infographics actually) I have a toolbox with Krita, Inkscape (which is better than Designer right now, just not as pretty) MyPaint and even Artrage for that really fine art look. It comes down to this "When all you have is a hammer" thing.

I hope Serif don't "pull" tools from Photo, but for the sort of design work I do which is mainly text flow and stroke-based shapes, it's plenty powerful enough. The only thing I need Designer could do (that Photo couldn't) was text on a path. I know Designer does a lot more but I just don't need those features. So between all the art software I've had to buy for support and features, I've only spent about 100UKP, which is a deal in anyone's currency.

Max/Maya are just out of my budget not to mention the 1-2 years I'd have to spend cramming even more into my noggin - which is already well past its use-by date. My only misgiving with Blender is the weak particle system but now Davinci has a professional VFX compositor built in with a decent (if sluggish) particle pipline, I'm golden.

But I'll say this again, Photo is bloody amazing, particularly at such a low price and I can't see why anyone would want to be chained to Adobe these days. Ironically, some Photoshop people I've spoken to think it's too cheap! I guess that's what happens when you get used to paying through the nose: you get the idea that money=quality and that's clearly not the case. Some people will never realise that, but that's their loss and our gain.

17 hours ago, wigglepixel said:

Yes, it can work out great. Don't know if you know how to program, but you should try Python in Blender. If you know what you're doing that can really speed up your process! Happy desiging and moddeling!

I'm not a Python programmer - it's just another technology that I don't have time to learn. (Remember the Woodcutter problem? No? Take me too long to explain. Repeat.)

I prefer compiled Python simply because the interpreted version is a bit too slow. There's a least one project that uses it, in Blender IIRC, that makes a huge difference but it's a couple of years since I used that. Damn I'm getting old fast.

• 4 months later...
36 minutes ago, RobNJ said:

Please pardon the "Thread Necromancy" ;)

But, as of today,  I have finally cut the cord, and cancelled my Adobe plan! 

What a relief that must be. I've got a couple of websites that I need to finish in my new software and one more to sort out then I'll be doing the same. I can't get rid til I've sorted out the debacle that was caused by EOL of Muse. Can't wait to get to where you are. 

Adobe is history for me, too. Like, after 22 years. The only things I miss are the no-fuss top quality font cloud and stock photo collection. But I'm not going to buy another stock plan. If clients want photos they will have to pay single photo licences. Unless you guys have an amazing plan to recommend :D

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

10 hours ago, Läppä said:

Unless you guys have an amazing plan to recommend :D

From friends and stuff ( I don't typically need that) I hear a lot are using shutterstock and istockphoto. I believe istock used to be the most cured, in quality, of the bunch. Dunno now, tho. I kind of consider both. Or just two providing what those do : One with a massive archive (shutterstock, if I'm not wrong, but haven't used it as a... user), with gives you the so much needed variety when doing a design,  then other with highly vetted quality. I went through their (istockphoto) quality tests some years ago ( again, maybe it's a lot more relaxed, now...dunno), as a submitter (vector illustration, only) as the company I worked at told me to do that.... And....maybe they have relaxed it a bit, and tho I passed ( I carefully went through a ton of requirements... felt like work, lol, I'm required to roll so in any case), man, were them strict and had a very artistic/sharp eye... Is not just specs... at least, the staff I could deal with  back then, those folks did know about art creation, composition, color, etc.

• 4 months later...

I have done this too. Ever since my work stopped giving me a licence I haven't had the option. But even if I had the option I wouldn't want to install it on my new laptop. GIGABYTES worth of stuff that wants to update itself constantly. Ugh.

I remember the days when Adobe was cool. They were innovating. They did performance releases sometimes (anyone remember Photoshop 7?). I went to their launches and conferences. I was at the original InDesign launch tour. You wanted to buy in because there was just nothing like it. When they put everything together into CS I wanted the Master Collection. It was great!

But with CC, it was too expensive, too problematic (licencing errors like we all know too well). And if you don't pay the bill, it all stops working. When Premiere started having problems, and InDesign started taking forever to launch, I had enough.

I struggled for a few years getting by with other alternatives. When I found Affinity last year I didn't look back. Publisher has completed the suite of design apps for me. For all things video I went to Davinci Resolve.

I understand that a lot of people still need Adobe apps and that's cool, this is not a hate club in my view. In fact, I actually hope Adobe is listening. But having moved from Quark years back I'm no stranger to moving on if need be. When the market leader gets comfortable and their customer experience goes down, that's just not good.

Me? I'm done with Adobe. No regrets guys!

4 hours ago, OzNate said:

(anyone remember Photoshop 7?)

I do... Was quite better  than 6, more stable.

And 2.x ....  Back then I found it mostly on the macs, at companies. But Corel was strong already.

4.0 added a particular way to make text editable (is crazy to remember this, now) ... I was actually criticized (in a very silly way, later on discovered the motivation) in a job interview for not considering it the most important feature in 4.0. (or 4.1, can't remember which one was) Not that you could not add text, it was a better way to edit it...

Adobe has taken a huge role in developing the industry, but I'd say Corel has done so, too, as many other companies, and back in the day there were a few contenders, and if Adobe wasn't there, now others (existing and new ones) would take the place. So, if it wouldn't have been Adobe, would have been any other. Is the pros who make the stuff, they are the key, with whatever they want to use.

I did it last week, but then when I went to cancel they offered me two months free, so thought I may as well make the most of the Adobe Stock and get some more images over the next two months. Pay back time! I'll be cancelling in August, unless they offer another freebie! Goodness knows I've paid that damn company more than two months worth of free images for the past 15 years.