You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush not working on layer mask

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi iambia,
Can you post a screenshot of the interface with the Paint Brush Selected and the Layers visible so we can see what's going on?
Thanks.

I went ahead and reinstalled it, and it now works fine. That means there is something gltichy going on.  It was working fine before, then suddenly stopped working. But again, a reinstall fixed it for me. If it happens again, I am on board with going through troubleshooting steps so you all can figure out why it happened.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi iambia,
Can you post a screenshot of the interface with the Paint Brush Selected and the Layers visible so we can see what's going on?
Thanks.

I spoke too soon. It started happening again. It was working, then stopped working.  Maybe it is something I am doing wrong. I have attached a screenshot. 

F953A1B1-FC6F-4FD6-AD28-5B0589204763.png

• Staff

Hi iambia,
In your screenshot the mask is not selected. You have an empty pixel layer selected instead. According to your previous posts you were trying to paint on a mask correct? Assuming you want to paint on the mask you already have created, tap the Background layer to expand it in the Layers studio, then tap the mask layer to select it. You should then be able to paint on the mask.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi iambia,
Thanks for the clip. Do you mind uploading the .afphoto file using this link so I can take a look please? Thanks.

Done.

20 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi iambia,
Thanks for the clip. Do you mind uploading the .afphoto file using this link so I can take a look please? Thanks.

Finally figured it out!!

I have a stylus, but not Apple brand. So I'm thinking if I turn on "Touch for gestures only" it will work with my stylus. But it seems it doesn't. I turned off Touch for gestures only and everything works fine now! That was the problem all along. It was looking for Apple Pencil in order to work (won't allow touches on the screen without it). I guess I should upgrade my stylus, huh? Sigh.

21 minutes ago, iambia said:

Finally figured it out!!

I have a stylus, but not Apple brand. So I'm thinking if I turn on "Touch for gestures only" it will work with my stylus. But it seems it doesn't. I turned off Touch for gestures only and everything works fine now! That was the problem all along. It was looking for Apple Pencil in order to work (won't allow touches on the screen without it). I guess I should upgrade my stylus, huh? Sigh.

Before you buy an Apple Pencil, make sure your iPad supports it. All the current Pro models do (but the just announced newest ones support a newer & slightly different Apple Pencil model), but the only non-pro model that supports the current Apple Pencil model is the 2018 one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Before you buy an Apple Pencil, make sure your iPad supports it. All the current Pro models do (but the just announced newest ones support a newer & slightly different Apple Pencil model), but the only non-pro model that supports the current Apple Pencil model is the 2018 one.

Thanks for the tip.

• 8 months later...

Thank you Agypsy, and MEB !!, I was having the exact issue Agypsy was having, and did exactly what they did

rebooting my iPad, going out of the app, restarting my lesson from Affinity Revolution, and following the steps

exactly as they were doing them, and nothing worked until I read your forum info about turning off the Protect

alpha, I had no idea it was on, I am also pretty new to photo editing, I guess this is how we learn.

Thank you so much !!