You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush not working on layer mask

My ipad version seems to be crashing,for the life of me I can't get my paint brushes to work on a mask layer over an adjustment layer. I am following a Simon Foster tutorial minute by minute , apply the HSL adjustment, apply a new empty mask layer, change the brush to paint and absolutely nothing happens when I begin to paint. I have rebooted the ipad, reloaded the pic and tried everything. I had got part way throug hworking on another project using the brush to paint and it suddenly stopped working, so I think there is a bug in there somewhere.

Anyone else had problems, it seems to do this a lot, and I figure I am making mistakes as I am pretty new, but I am beginning to think there is a problem with the app. I don't want to delete and reload as I have a lot of work there, any suggestions please.

3 minutes ago, Agypsy said:

I don't want to delete and reload as I have a lot of work there, any suggestions please.

Use the ‘Save a Copy’ feature to give you backups of any important files. You should be doing this anyway, as part of your general backup strategy.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Agypsy,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check the Opacity and the Flow for the Paint Brush Tool in the context toolbar on bottom. Are they set to 0%? If so set them to 100% (or an adequate value other than 0%). Also check the colour of the brush as well: if you are working on a mask, white will reveal the effect of the adjustment, while black hides it. If the adjustment is already affecting all image and you are painting with white (to reveal it) you will see no change on screen since the adjustment is already affecting all image.

If you attach a screenshot of the interface with your image opened, the Paint Brush Tool selected and the Layers Studio visible we may be able to give you more precise indications.

I am actually working straight from Simons lesson and following his steps exactly, and in his on the layer mask you can see the white blob showing in the layers studio, but it doesn’t on mine. I am trying to change the toadstool to blue from the HSL adjustment.

Thanks MEB, I can't believe it was that easy, I had no idea what that did and must have knocked it by mistake when I was working on the last image and it stopped in the middle. So many things to learn, I feel so dumb sometimes. Cheers

On 5/28/2018 at 5:15 AM, MEB said:

You have Protect Alpha enabled. Tap it to disable it (the thin outline around the circle should disappear).

Is there any way to get an easier to see indicator of the enabled/disabled state of options like this apart from the (IMO so unnecessarily) thin gray outline & the slight background color change? I tried changing the Preferences > Interface > Background Gray Level but that makes very little difference. As it is, it is very easy to tap this by accident & not notice it.

<rant> Once again, this all too trendy UI design preference for low contrast, overly subtle indicators has compromised usability & steepened the learning curve unnecessarily, without providing any actual benefit other than someone's idea of what would make the UI look "prettier" or "more modern." It is the same issue that eventually resulted in the light UI option for the desktop apps (which still misses the point)!

After all, if nothing else what would be the downside of making the circle pure white? >:( </rant>

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2018 at 12:15 PM, MEB said:

Hi Agypsy,
Thanks for the screen capture. You have Protect Alpha enabled. Tap it to disable it (the thin outline around the circle should disappear). It will then work as you'd expect.

Hi MEB, 

Please check my screen shot, i think everything is correct but i still cannot do painting with white on the mask. 

A6B3D3CE-693B-4235-A659-E284FCDA954F.png

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, matherjcan said:

I can't make this work either. Can you help me?

This thread is in the iPad subforum but your screenshot is from the (Mac) desktop version. To avoid confusion, please create a new thread in the main Questions forum. 

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As the mask is already white, use channel,studio to invert the mask, then paint in white.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

10 hours ago, matherjcan said:

I can't make this work either. Can you help me?

In your screenshot you have both the background AND the mask selected.  You only want the mask selected.

Click on the mask's layer thumbnail in the layers panel to select just the mask and it should then work as expected.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Adnan Turn off your background Layer (untick bottom layer).

It’s white mask is allowing the whole layer to show, which is filling back in the bits of the top layer you mask out. Because both images are the same it appears as if nothing is changing.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

3 hours ago, Adnan said:

Thanks,

i have changed the mask to black and usually, this will not reveal and does not work.  The issue even if I do just normal painting using the brush nothing happen

I think the problem is the brush you have selected. If you look at the More icon in the context menu, it shows the amount of 'paint' that will be applied. Yours is showing almost nothing. Any colour being applied will be minimal and take ages to build up.

Try one of the basic round brushes and set flow and Hardness to 100%. You should see the More icon fill with white as you increase the brush width. This indicates that a lot of 'paint' will be applied with each stroke. The effect will be visible immediately. :)

E52FD45E-7279-4C4C-AFF6-C3971BF1792B.jpeg

A screen recording of your process and brush settings would be very helpful in diagnosing issues and providing help. :)

Many thanks DM1. To say I have fixed it is a bit of an overstatement but I had tried all of the suggestions in every conceivable combination. In the end I did the good old ‘expert’ trick , delete and reinstall. Works fine now. I have had a similar thing happen in the past and ended up with the same solution.

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 3:51 AM, Paul M said:

I am running 1.6.9.81 on iPad Pro and iPad Air 2. The paint brush on the iPad Pro does not work with anything. Tried new doc, pixel layer, different colours, different brushes, everything suggested above. Nothing happens

Same issue here. I have tried everything, but nothing is working. Tried everything everyone has suggested, still nothing. Created a brand new blank document, no imported image, still nothing. Paint brush doesn't paint. Thought maybe it was a Photo thing, so opened Designer to use that program for my project. To my surprise, won't paint there either. Very odd.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

On 10/27/2018 at 6:08 AM, Paul M said:

Many thanks DM1. To say I have fixed it is a bit of an overstatement but I had tried all of the suggestions in every conceivable combination. In the end I did the good old ‘expert’ trick , delete and reinstall. Works fine now. I have had a similar thing happen in the past and ended up with the same solution.

many thanks

I might need to reinstall as well. Sigh.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything