You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Velocity

Hello,

First thank you for this great piece of software, I would like to make it my main drawing software.

I try to replicate this kind of brush from Clip Studio Paint where a velocity drop is detected at each turn.

clip_studio_paint_velocity.png.a5deef2afda86d95626bb966ee74c843.png

When I use the Velocity Inverse in Accumulation or Flow there is no such variation when the pen change direction.

Is there something I miss?

Thanks for your feedback,

Francis

Hi, Francis,

Your post should probably be in the questions section. The "feedback" in this section is more for discussion of how a feature is implemented.

But... Using Designer in pixel mode, note the attached image. The settings you want to change are in brush dynamics, and yes velocity inverse does the job. The 2 strokes I show have the dynamics set to 100% and 74% for both. As you can see, the natural pause while changing direction changes the stroke.

BrushDynamics.thumb.jpg.5bc1da69d9ce4b0088ca1dc41a9b1150.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

By dynamics set to 100%, I meant push the slider to 100% on accumulation and flow. This is not a feature I use, so I looked into it a bit more. I noticed 3 things. If I'm using a mouse to draw the line, the mouse speed must change dramatically. W/o an almost complete stop, one can get the long fade from the beginning to the end. My initial example was using a Huion tablet, which gives a response much more like what you want. In the attached, I changed the response curve from the default. This can add more evident changes depending on the curve.

In the attached image, the left scribble is from the mouse, the middle from the Huion, and the right from the Huion with upward scoop variance curve.

FWIW, I have an iPad w. AP, but don't use it often. It seems to respond differently from the desktop work I usually do. No sample from that.

Also. I'm using a spray paint nozzle, which gives different and more obvious results than a basic nozzle.

InverseVelocity.thumb.jpg.dfb7378cbc9d4729bc507e2ace4ffeee.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet