You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using Affinity Designer to create file to upload into Cricut Explore Air2, to draw embroidery designs on fabric. If I export a png file, the image looks perfect but the Cricut treats each line as an object and outlines it - not what I want. I want a line drawing. After hours with Cricut tech support, I discovered that by exporting my file as an svg, the single line problem was solved, however, the image broke apart into single strokes and scattered over the page. I tried grouping elements in layers and then grouping all the layers together and the file arrived partially intact and the rest scattered and chaotic. I am attaching 2 screen shots. the first is the png file that is plotted as an outline by Cricut. The second is the way the file looks when uploaded as an svg file. (I know why some of the circles are filled in and know how to fix that)

If anyone can advise me, I would be so grateful.

pngfile.jpg.png

svgfile.png

• Staff

Hi ellewarren,

Welcome to the forums. 

Check your fill mode in Layer > Fill Mode. It should be set to Alternate. Export the SVG again and see how it goes. if you still have issues, can you please attach the .afdesign file so we can have a look?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I've just imported an SVG in Design Space and it imported correctly.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

See image for what I have found so far. SVG for web export seems to be the best option, any closed shape is imported as filled, I have tried exporting after breaking all the shapes that would import as filled, if the node isn't moved after breaking the shape, it will maintain its shape status and be filled, if you move the node slightly; I turned off snapping, zoomed in close and moved the node with my mouse so the the nodes were side by side. (see fig 2.)

884713020_ScreenShot2018-05-29at11_02_52.thumb.png.bd01b74f848702dcd159ab6063962573.png

Fig 2.

1675431160_ScreenShot2018-05-29at11_32_35.thumb.png.7359d503d4263d1ae8285209122bd256.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Forgot to add a screenshot of what I ended up with when importing to Design Space.

1127664462_ScreenShot2018-05-29at22_42_34.thumb.png.33976a8ce2498ba11df4654e4c4b4d33.png

7 hours ago, ellewarren said:

Firstdefence, how did you get the circle to not be filled. I understand what you said about opening up the nodes on objects I drew with the pen tool, but what about things that a drawn as shapes?

I converted the shapes to curves, and used the Node Tool to make a break at one of the Node Points, then I just moved one of the Nodes at the Break Point, watch my short tut below.

1232305251_ShapesintoDesignSpace.thumb.gif.5be7967be26efbd8ccc3afdfa06201d0.gif

Thank you so much for this! I am certain it will work for me if I could just find the time to do the file over again. I had to trace the design onto a canvas by hand today for a private student because I just couldn't find the time to work on the file but my class is on the 9th and I know I will be able to get to it this weekend.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it works out.