You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment Layer Cancel Button

Having spent several hours processing an astrophotography image I am now going through all of the adjustment layers tweaking them to try an improve the image. 

Sometime the tweaks work sometimes they degrade the image making it look worse than before.

It would be really nice if I could just cancel out of the adjustment layer on those occasions where I make things worse without trying to go back and remember what all of the previous settlings were.

If there is a common solution that could be applied to all adjustments great, if not the ones that cause most hassle are Curves, Levels and Colour related layers.

Thanks

Jon

3 hours ago, midnightlightning said:

It would be really nice if I could just cancel out of the adjustment layer on those occasions where I make things worse without trying to go back and remember what all of the previous settlings were.

Hi @midnightlightning,

I believe it is on purpous that there is no 'Cancel Button' in the adjustment layers.

I suggest you look into the 'History Panel' (View > Studio > History, if it's not already there).

Once you double click on an adjustment layer to alter previously applied adjustments a new entry in the history list appears (at the bottom) called 'Set adjustment parameters'. No matter how many parameters you adjust it stays only with one entry in the 'History Panel'.

To cancel unwanted adjustments you just click on the entry above 'Set adjustment parameters' in the history panel. This reverts the adjustment panel to what it was before (even without closing it).

You might as well simply press CTRL+z. This reverts all made adjustments since you opened the adjustment layer.

I hope that helps. Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Why not just press Delete in the adjustment layer settings to get rid of it completely? Or Reset if you want to keep the adjustment layer open but reset its effects to how things were originally?

That should work for any kind of adjustment layer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why not just press Delete in the adjustment layer settings to get rid of it completely? Or Reset if you want to keep the adjustment layer open but reset its effects to how things were originally?

That should work for any kind of adjustment layer.

Hi @walt.farrell,

deleting the layer or resetting the layer removes all adjustments. As I understand it the OP wants to return to and preserve some adjustments already made.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Thanks, @dominik. I didn't understand that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, midnightlightning said:

Thanks @dominik, that's exactly what I was looking for. 

Hey, glad to be of help :)

d.