You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

What is the best way to open up multiple photos in Affinity Photo?

At the moment I just File -> Open and then select the .RAW files I want import. The problem is though, it takes FOREVER and often makes AP crash or my whole system chug along until I get so annoyed that I hit the reset button. I wouldn't say my PC is under powered, it just seems to have real problems with Affinity Photo.

I've tried loading in photos in more manageable chunks (50 files) but the same thing still happens. It's ridiculous, nothing loads. 

Is AP not designed to handle multiple imports at once or am I doing something wrong? All's I want to do is load in my shoots to go through to quick edit or spend some more time on the really good shots.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

If it makes any difference, here are my system specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 42 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366) 36 °C
Graphics
DELL U2312HM (1920x1080@59Hz)
4GB GeForce GTX 970
Storage
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 26 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD) 32 °C
14GB Generic- SD/MMC USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

• Staff

Hi captainkimchi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
That's way to much images to open at once. Affinity Photo is not DAM (digital assets management app) with a RAW converter/developer integrated. It's not supposed to work on all photos from a photoshoot simultaneously and apply the same setting to a bunch of images at once. It's more comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop where you typically convert/develop an image (or a couple of images) in Camera RAW and move to Photoshop for further localised processing/editing.

24 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi captainkimchi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
That's way to much images to open at once. Affinity Photo is not DAM (digital assets management app) with a RAW converter/developer integrated. It's not supposed to work on all photos from a photoshoot simultaneously and apply the same setting to a bunch of images at once. It's more comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop where you typically convert/develop an image (or a couple of images) in Camera RAW and move to Photoshop for further localised processing/editing.

Ok cheers

Do you have any tips on how to improve my workflow then? 

Is it a case of loading in the images I want to edit one at a time?