You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Puppet warp

ppr

• 3 months later...

My same question.  I can add nodes to a mesh but that mesh is applying to a rectangle containing the selected image not the selected image (say of a person) itself.  In fact I am not seeing a way to see a cut out person (for example) to be selected other than as a bounding box.  

If Puppet Warp is hidden I'd love to know where.  If not  then if Puppet Warp can be added that would be very significant.

Otherwise, I'm  loving this application so far!

• Staff

Hi @ppr, @Digitalclips,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

No, there isn't a Puppet Warp tool in Affinity Photo.

@Digitalclips,

The Mesh Warp Tool present in Affinity Photo is a general mesh distortion tool. It wasn't intended to be used for specific images areas.

I'm moving this thread to the feature requests section as nobody have requested this before.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

this still is no replacement for puppet warp

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

With PS puppet warp you can take a cutout character and place nodes on the joints to produce a skeleton and bend or reposition limbs without too much distortion effecting the rest of the image, you can even place say a leg behind another leg or rotate a limb around the axis a node - obviously if you go a bit extreme it's gonna look like a dogs dinner  - Deform is really basic and can work for simple tweaks and great for doing distortions but theres no background wireframe to isolate the movement of a limb, if you move a leg the the left it will also distort the other leg

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use puppet warp extensively in my finishing work. The ability to lock areas with point while precisely moving other areas is indispensable, as is being able to see the other layers and lowering opacity to see below the layer you're adjusting for exact placement. The only way to achieve this with warp is to cut the object into multiple pieces and distort each piece separately, then deal with the alignment/blending issues of each piece. Tedious.

Liquify could do this sort of except it opens to new window with just the object you're working on, so aligning to the rest of the images in the file is pure guess work.

My other main complaint is the lack of a direct way to edit channels. Sure you can make a copy of one of the RGB channels, but you can't view and edit that copy. You should be able to use all available tools including curves, dodge, burn, blur, etc. without having to create a layer to do so.

And the same for layer masks, all the tools should work when the mask is selected and active (whether it's visible or not), burning the darks to tighten up the mask, blurring to soften hard edges, you get the idea.

The ability to move the rotation/origin point when transforming would make that more efficient.

• 9 months later...