You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a "jump to zero" for sliders?

The best way to explain what I want to know is to use an example. So let's say the saturation slider in the HSL palette. When I've moved the slider off of 0 and I want to return it to 0, is there a way to make the slider jump to 0 instead of fussing back and forth, under-shooting and over-shooting with it until it finally settles at 0? In other programs you can, for example, double-click on the slider, or double-click on the word "saturation" or some such, and the slider just jumps to 0.

If its just one of the sliders you want to zero then do as Hannah has said, to reset the HSL palette click on the reset button.

323537084_ScreenShot2018-05-26at19_39_08.png.80492b8032f02c97bd2bc8e11706e758.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

53 minutes ago, hannah said:

Did you see, right next to the sliders there is an input field. You can type in "0" and then hit the enter-key. Does that help you?

No, it's not really faster than just fiddling with the slider. In general, I use the keyboard very little, never use keyboard shortcuts, because it means taking your eyes off the screen and your hand off the mouse. I'm a "mouse person." :) But thanks.

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

If its just one of the sliders you want to zero then do as Hannah has said, to reset the HSL palette click on the reset button.

323537084_ScreenShot2018-05-26at19_39_08.png.80492b8032f02c97bd2bc8e11706e758.png

Yes, I knew about that. (Still looking for that instant double-click.) Thanks.

12 minutes ago, owenr said:

Currently, double-clicking a slider handle restores it to default in only Develop and Tone Map personas of Photo. 

Well, that's not great, but it's something I didn't know about. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ncJohn said:

I'm a "mouse person." :) But thanks.

As a mouse user, are you aware that you can use a mouse scroll wheel to change numeric field values by placing the pointer over the field & moving the wheel? You might find that easier than dragging the slider.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

As a mouse user, are you aware that you can use a mouse scroll wheel to change numeric field values by placing the pointer over the field & moving the wheel? You might find that easier than dragging the slider.

Well, I did not know that! That's pretty cool! (Not as good as a double-click reset, but still pretty cool.) Thanks.

30 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

And ... CTRL + mouse wheel  allows you to increase/decrease the value by 0.1

On the Mac versions, use the alt/option modifier key for this rather than the CTRL one. However, for some field values expressed in percent values it does not work. For example, in the HSL adjustment it works for Hue shift but not for Saturation or Luminosity shift. Possibly this is because the latter two only seem to accept whole number % values.

Using Shift + mouse wheel sets percent values in 10% steps, & elsewhere in 10 unit steps. That makes it very quick & easy to set zero values.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

57 minutes ago, owenr said:

These percentage fields (and others throughout the apps) accept and correctly utilise non-integer values when typed/pasted in. For example, setting Luminosity Shift to 0.2 will give a brighter result than 0.1, which is brighter than 0, although all are displayed as 0 in the field. The current Affinity apps deceptively display only the integer part of real percentages.

So trust your eyes not the figures:)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Depends. There is one gent on this forum who has colour issues. Problems between reds and greens I believe,.

Figures are sometimes better.

And my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, young man.

eyes.jpg.bda8fd0cc67c6527816044e2aed6ae0b.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

51 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Considering the limited color gamut of computer screens & that most of the the colors we see on them actually are an illusion created by closely spaced triads each emitting light in only a narrow spectrum of colors, perhaps that is not such a good idea?

Affinity Photo