You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which of Tiff format is the best for photography?

Hello Guys,
I hope you're good! I just wanna ask a practical question about the TIFF formats. I shoot RAWs with my Canon M6 and then I edit them with Affinity Photo editor. Then when I reach at the end of the edit, I go to export and in order to maintain the image uncompressed I choose the TIFF image file. But the TIFF option has a plethora in my editing program: a) TIFF RGB 8-bit b) TIFF RGB 16-bit c) TIFF Greyscale 8-bit d) TIFF Greyscale 16-bit e) TIFF CMYK f) TIFF LAB 16-bit.
163b7a13dd17404a85b4bc3b09657cd1.png.bda6ba69d8c723fae24ecf3f60236abf.png

I don't know what to chose between TIFF RGB 16 bit and TIFF LAB 16 bit in order to have the original colours of my image, crystal quality and the best format at all. I just know that the TIFF CMYK is a premium TIFF format that has a lossy layer and about the TIFF LAB 16-bit has many too many estimated file size. For example with TIFF RGB 16-bit my image is 9.53 and with the TIFF LAB 16-bit it's 23.3 MB - why such increase? What should I use for my photography? Down I have edited two raw photos and I export them as TIFF RGB 16 and TIFF LAB 16: which image is better? With the Lab or the Rgb version? 

Also one more question: What's the choice "save as layers"? Does it affects my quality? Because when i click on it, my image's memory value increasing so highly. 

Thanks in advance,
Leo.

Thanks in advance guys! 

LAB.tiff

RGB_(NO_LAYERS).tiff

If you are saving as final archive image, 8-bit RGB TIFF (with lossless LZW compression, at the moment AP uses always compression) is OK.

If you want to edit later on, you can keep image at 16 bits and save as 16-bit TIFF. It is way larger file that 8-bit version.

If you have greyscale image, use greyscale TIFF, bit depth as above.

LAB is OK if you know what you are doing, for example I do not have it in my work flow. It is bigger as its colour space system is different from RGB. Basically qualitywise it is about the same as RGB but some colour operations are easier in LAB.

CMYK TIF is no premium, it is meant for press. CMYK colour space is smaller that RGB so do not use it unless you understand prepress.

Layers... it just keeps the layers you have made in AP document. As there may be a lot of redundant information file size grows. It does not affect quality, you just can open and edit layer data later on. I dunno how well TIFF layers work in AP implementation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF

Thank you, guys, very much for your quick and responsive answers. Moreover, I just want to ask you in which color space most cameras are based on. Do I capture pictures in RGB color frames or we do capture more colors and we do not understand? Should we edit them in order to wide open the colors? I ask you clearly to see if this color enlargement that opens with the L*A*B TIFF 16-bit is actually natural or if it simply accelerates / boosts the colors and is - hence - superfluous. I want for business reasons to set a color background COMMON to all my photos and I want to make the most qualitative step for my photos: what do you think is the best color space to use for now as an amateur photographer, the TIFF RGB or TIFF LAB 16-bit? Has any of them better quality or it's the same? Thanks again in advance! :D:)

Most cameras offer a choice between sRGB or Adobe RGB color space
I have absolutely no idea if there are cameras that offer LAB color space as a choice !!
I mostly shoot in RAW format in the Adobe RGB color space.
Adobe RGB offers a wider color range than sRGB, the most saturated green, red and blue colors are beyond the reach of sRGB.
In Affinity Photo you can always change color format via Document > Color format .

Did you already watch this video, about LAB color mode?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Okay I saw this video. Thanks for your information! Also, can I ask you something, please? When you edit your RAW files do you prefer at the end an RGB color space or L*A*B? I have heard many times that LAB for the web overkill the images and RGB is better. What's your peace of view? Thanks again! :)

@leoskats

I always end up with a RGB 16 bit colour space.

Even if you switched to LAB (16 bit) colours space and export the image as a TIFF file,
then the original colour space (in my case Adobe RGB (1998)) will be used.

You can't use LAB 16 bit for web publishing, if you export to JPEG-format  Affinity Photo automatically converts it to colour format (s)RGB 8 bit .

That's because  JPEG file format is only 8 bits per colour.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

31 minutes ago, owenr said:

Some of the "information" isn't true.

Can you, please, tell your point of view about the RGB vs LAB? Because I want to edit my photos in order to upload them in web. LAB as a color space isn't accessible for the web publishing...