You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I flip (mirror) a shape through a point/axis of choice?

Hello dear people,

Would you know how to flip an object/shape through a self-defined point in AfD?

"Flip Horizontal" would always flip through center, even after dragging the  "center-point" to some place else. (Crosshairs-thingy in the screenshot). Moving this point makes my shape rotate around it, but has in my case no effect on other transformations than rotating).   

855614847_ScreenShot2018-05-26at13_11_20.thumb.png.01355ed9d61699421bfba8d633bb7f97.png

Thanks

Once you have rotated it use the mirror options to flip

1938555177_rotateandflip.gif.1ff31a694402c57bc2bc46ef9b95c6b3.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Did anything happen on this topic in the meantime?
I have a similar situation, just that my example is not symmetrical and I want to repeat a shape and flip it to create a flap which – cut in leather – will cover the original shape when bent over.

As stated in this forum several times – in AI it's done just by chosing the flip tool, select origin, a second point of flip axis (which is the second joint), holding the ALT key – done. The points match, can be joined one by one and have only to be corrected if you want a smooth curve.
In AD it is so complicated, I prefer to draw the shape by hand and make it fit by flip, turn and try a copy, then make corrections at the final piece.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-07 um 00.53.07.png

It would be nice to simply define a flip axis and flip an object around that axis but in the meantime you could use the Alignment handles and the construction tool.

ysguVY.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 4 months later...

I'd REALLY like to have the opportunity set an axis for flipping, too!

Maybe by just holding the ALT key when clicking on the "Flip" button and thus being offered to set a point (and perhaps an angle, too) for the axis to go through first and then actually flipping as a second step. A bit like in Illustrator (it wasn't ALL bad with the Adobe apps – you gotta learn from your enemies, anyway...).

The solution by firstdefence shown above is quite ingenious, though, as a workaround. I really wouldn't have thought of that way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As this appears to be pure (and basically not that advanced) math – exactly what a computer should be able to do efficiently – you'd think it really couldn't be so hard to implement.

For the user it eventually shouldn't be more than: Choose a point for the axis to run through, choose whether it's going to be horizontal/vertical/at-an-given-angle and let the machine compute the new coordinates...

I miss this "reflect" tool as well. In Illustrator, you just select the reflect tool and press Alt on two locations and it will reflect on that axis. Holding down shift at the same time will make it a competely straight reflected duplicate.

As a work around, I add a box that aligns with the axis I want to mirror on. The I flip the parts and align the edges of the two boxes. Then the boxes can be deleted. Can't believe you have to go through so much effort for a task that should be simple and a basic available function within the program. Or too complicated to integrate?

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 11.06.34.jpg

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, ziplock9000 said:

I'm really surprised such an extremely basic and needed function like this is lacking.

I guess that's what happens when you design an otherwise powerful and comprehensive program more or less from scratch. You're bound to forget some little things here and there – or maybe you didn't ask actual designers and digital artists really all the proper questions beforehand... As we haven't even got to version 2 I tend to be optimistic, however, that these things will be addressed sooner (hopefully) or later.

Same thing IMHO with dashed/dotted strokes, which so far – with closed shapes – don't automatically align at their beginning/end. Neither can they be made to "pay attention" to corners (e.g. put a dot of a dotted line exactly at each corner of a rectangle) like it's been possible in Illustrator and InDesign for years and years now. I keep hoping, though...

• 6 months later...
On 5/26/2018 at 5:39 AM, hannah said:

Hello dear people,

Would you know how to flip an object/shape through a self-defined point in AfD?

"Flip Horizontal" would always flip through center, even after dragging the  "center-point" to some place else. (Crosshairs-thingy in the screenshot). Moving this point makes my shape rotate around it, but has in my case no effect on other transformations than rotating).   

855614847_ScreenShot2018-05-26at13_11_20.thumb.png.01355ed9d61699421bfba8d633bb7f97.png

Thanks

This method doesn't work if you're shapes aren't rotated at a degree that is a multiple of 15, and there's no snap rotation.
Yes all those shapes are my attempts at creating a symmetrical picture. I've been finding it pretty hard, because it seems like things just don't snap to what they're supposed to

On 10/6/2020 at 12:10 PM, macnavi said:

As a work around, I add a box that aligns with the axis I want to mirror on. The I flip the parts and align the edges of the two boxes. Then the boxes can be deleted.

A tous,

On faisait ça sur les premières version d'illustrator.
Quelque part, ça nous rajeuni. :)

We used to do that on the first versions of illustrator.
Somehow it made us feel younger. :)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Easier with the "Point transform Tool":

Bien sûr. C'est juste une façon de montrer qu'on peut calculer précisément l'angle d'un miroir et déplace l'objet sur cet angle.

Of course. It's just a way of showing that you can calculate the angle of a mirror precisely and move the object to that angle.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2