Pannonia

Not fit for production

Hi,

this is going to be a general rant.

I bought AD and AP only a few weeks ago.
While I am very impressed with all the features in general, I cannot do anything with the programs but play around.

There is no way I could use them for production right now, it's a real bugfest and crashapalooza.

AD, use the pen tool for more than 3 minutes - crash
AP, work on a couple of images, try to export them - crash and everything gone
And so on.

I honestly can't remember Photoshop crashing a single time on me in over 20 years!
I had crashes with Xara Designer, but very few and mostly without losing anything.

I understand that both programs are still relatively new, but still they should run wayyyy more stable than that.
I have sent reports on almost every crash, I also saw other topics regarding the pen tool. 

Unless the teething troubles are over, both programs are of no value to me other than being a toy.

2 hours ago, Pannonia said:

I have sent reports on almost every crash

Interestingly.

I was looking at all your posts (there are 6), and I did not find any mention of any bug/error/crash.

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.7.3.481.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.476.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

I used photoshop 7 for years and can remember it crashing all the time; never did get to the bottom of it.

I bought Affinity Photo after I trialled it and thought my crashing/freezing days were done, but no, I get crashes all the time at certain instances of application. I am no technical whizz or anything like that, so I have to rely heavily on the recovery file function - this has saved me lots of times from losing hours of work.

I have 'faith' in the program and really like it (when it behaves itself) but these days bugs get everywhere until the time comes that they are squished. I've sent reports off in the hope that these crashing issues will eventually be solved.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

I've used AD in various professional production jobs. I disagree with your statement that they are 'Not fit for production'.

It might be worth asking if other members of the forum are working crash free on Windows?

I'm running AD and AP on a Mac (High Sierra) and I've not had a crash with either of the Apps (that I can remember). Most crashes I've has with applications have been due to my system instal. When I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra things started to go pear shaped generally so I did a clean system install and everything is now fine.

I appreciate it can be very frustrating when things go wrong so I understand your 'rant'.

No problems and no crashing here on win10(1803)
Usually problems with crashing are other apps and programs running either along or in background on the system.
If you use resource heavy programs make sure to shut some other things off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

3 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Interestingly.

I was looking at all your posts (there are 6), and I did not find any mention of any bug/error/crash.

The IN PROGRAM crash report window!

1 hour ago, douglasrthomson said:

I've used AD in various professional production jobs. I disagree with your statement that they are 'Not fit for production'.

It might be worth asking if other members of the forum are working crash free on Windows?

I'm running AD and AP on a Mac (High Sierra) and I've not had a crash with either of the Apps (that I can remember). Most crashes I've has with applications have been due to my system instal. When I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra things started to go pear shaped generally so I did a clean system install and everything is now fine.

I appreciate it can be very frustrating when things go wrong so I understand your 'rant'.

It is very nice if it is running ok for YOU, especially on a totally different system.

However it does not for me on Win7.
Thus not fit for production.

Since PS, Xara and a couple other software is running perfectly, the problem might not be on my end.
I even tend to open too many large photos in PS. It might get a little slow, but never crashes. 

Hi Pannoia,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry you are having trouble with the program. Regarding the issues you mentioned: we are aware of the Pen Tool crash issue. We reproduced it here and it should be fixed in an upcoming Beta (not necessarily the next one). Can you give us more details about the issues you are having when exporting images? Does it happen with any format or a just a specific one? If for a specific file format does it happen with any images you export or just with a specific file/project? If you could create a thread in the Bugs section (Beta or Retail section depending on the version you are using) with a sample file or steps to reproduce the issue we may be able to track it down and fix it quicker.
Thank you.

... so I have to rely heavily on the recovery file function - this has saved me lots of times from losing hours of work.

AffinityJules, I googled that and found the autosave-folder with a couple of files in it.
I can force-open them in AP, but is there an "official" recovery of those files after a crash? I did not find anything.

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Pannoia,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry you are having trouble with the program. Regarding the issues you mentioned: we are aware of the Pen Tool crash issue. We reproduced it here and it should be fixed in an upcoming Beta (not necessarily the next one). Can you give us more details about the issues you are having when exporting images? Does it happen with any format or a just a specific one? If for a specific file format does it happen with any images you export or just with a specific file/project? If you could create a thread in the Bugs section (Beta or Retail section depending on the version you are using) with a sample file or steps to reproduce the issue we may be able to track it down and fix it quicker.
Thank you.

Hi,

I had about 10 moderately sized photos open in AP and did mostly Tone-Mapping and resizing. That went very well and fluid.
Changed to the export-persona, exported the first of them as .jpg. AP crashed right after that.

27 minutes ago, Pannonia said:

AffinityJules, I googled that and found the autosave-folder with a couple of files in it.
I can force-open them in AP, but is there an "official" recovery of those files after a crash? I did not find anything.

I think the settings can be found in the Preferences panel under Performance. Here you can set a file recovery interval.

Go to EDIT/Preferences to see this option. I have never touched this function so in that sense I never set anything up; the first time I had a crash, I restarted Affinity and the dialogue box just appeared all by itself. I'm none the wiser but it sure has saved me lots of times.

The best policy for me now is to regularly save my work, regardless.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

23 minutes ago, Pannonia said:

Changed to the export-persona, exported the first of them as .jpg. AP crashed right after that.

Instead of switching to the Export persona, have you tried exporting via the File menu in the Photo persona?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

jpg export extra compression processing maybe crashed it as being in the very limit ? Dunno...

( btw, at a game company, PS 6 crashed on us quite... 7 as well, but quite less, and in other critical points. With enough memory /resources usage, I'm capable of crashing anything, tho...lol ...another skill for my cv. )

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Machine and configuration issue, this. OP has AP and AD issues. Neither thread has the full machine configuration or the 'usual suspect' incompatible software check that Serif have listed to assist....

Aha.... (well, not sure if I fully understood...)

Anyway... am starting to think my old machine is sort of magic... Not a single freaking issue in any beta or final release from Affinity since I know them....

(and if it did, I'm used to work with commercial and open source software that crashes very randomly, constantly, and often in the middle of some demo deliver...and that WAS "production ready", considered so by everyone and their dog,  back in the times (several of the major brands/players in today's market...Adobe, Autodesk, Macromedia, etc) we produced many games and sites with those things.... )

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:37 AM, douglasrthomson said:

Me, am working crash free with AD stable, betas, and other Affinity apps betas...I think AD crashed on me once... but I was doing sth extreme with my RAM and resources, anything, even a new tab of chrome (anyone here is fan of opening 100 tabs ?) would have put it down.... But not only with AD, with every software. If anything, Inkscape in Windows, that binary crashes from time to time, but knowing most cases, one can avoid them -as usual, with software bugs- but that's it...Also, pre-alpha apps do crash, of course, but that is expected. And I have a NON clean OS, installed TONS of stuff over the years with no OS reinstall... I keep it as optimized as I can (you know in Windows that's not fully possible, but Win 7 allow a ton of installs keeping good performance and stability, if you do it right ), clean often the registry -with care- and review constantly services and processes that some software installs as bloat. But I mean, this machine should NOT be stable, with so much stuff and no uninstall in many years... and still, rock solid. There's some cleaning that is key to do...

BTW, particularly in Windows 7, when stuff like this happens, is very productive to review carefully all the processes active. And services. And, seeing devices in conflict (hardware gone bad, or drivers issues). I remember many many years ago how I got totally crazy by continuous errors and random slow downs, with an older machine than this,  to finally pass a memtest (that DOS third party utility), and realize a RAM chip was gone the way of the Dodo. I don't see this in friends' machines as often these late years, neither corrupted disk sectors, but back in the day would happen from time to time (with power shortages, etc). And one could easily blame the software, until seen a bunch of cases, to learn the differences and symptoms. What I see is a ton of issues with many apps, and the system in general, is when doing a bad Win installation, often over an older Windows. (specially wrong has gone in certain cases an install of the (back in the day) free Win10 over Win7. But that's another situation.)

After seeing if the graphic card driver is well installed, the wacom driver is also good, there are no driver conflicts (control panel/system/devices admin), so no red/yellow alert tiny symbols in any device there, also checked that the system has the latest windows updates (of the generally recommended ones, one has to be careful these days about installing which Windows updates... I have it in "always ask". And then I check about the patch at certain sources I trust) and the needed service pack , and I believe is quite crucial for Affinity apps (someone tell me if that's not the case) to have a problems free .NET, well up-to-date, also, and after all that, then I would certainly check carefully the list of "processes" and services (ctrl + shift + escape . Then 'processes' tab , and services tab), sometimes there's some bad gremlin there... Even if not a virus. 

The bad processes can be terminated right there in the task manager (activated by that shortcut) and eliminated from startup by using "msconfig", and "services", well, you can stop, restart or start from Services at control panel/admin tools/services. And/or in Msconfig, as well (each has its specific advantages).  Yet tho, for anyone reading this not very familiar with this kind of stuff (for a lot of of people used to Windows, this is easy-peasy , and in a well maintained system, sth you rarely would need to use). These are "kind of" dangerous things to do  (tho is even more dangerous to edit the Windows registry without knowledge) , disable a process or service unless you are 200% sure that you can disable or terminate it, or remove it from startup. You can google whatever the process or service to get info a about it (avoid certain dangerous pages that show up, tho, and never even install any of the "system cleaners" that show up as ads in those pages. ). Is often a good way to get rid of ad-aware (and even trojans...rootkits are a bit more elaborate, but can be removed without an antivirus), too.

I mention all this as in these forums one finds all range of people.... from the tech savvy that knows every hardcore system bit, to people not knowing even basic maintenance. One never knows...Also, a ton of issues that initially seem to be inherent of a certain app (be it Affinity's, Adobe's, Autodesk's, etc) is extremely common to discover in the end that the majority of the times is a badly coded third party process/utility/resident thingy, fully unrelated to those companies, when not a corrupted system file, all fully unrelated issue to those applications, and very often a bad driver, or even hardware going partially wrecked, or fully wrecked. 

I dunno, if I would have been having issues with so many betas that I have tested from them since I very first time I knew Serif's Affinity (in my experience, previous legacy tools were pretty solid, too, tho never used them too much), or the stable versions, the I'd be worried when reading the eventual post, but , by all means....is not the case.  I hope you find whatever is wrecking the stuff in your system, though.

7 minutes ago, SrPx said:

anyone here is fan of opening 100 tabs ?

Only 100? :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

Like you,  @SrPx I've got a not so young and not so hight-end computer made from parts I  bought -- no need anymore for a gamer one since I don't play now -- and I install a lot of programs, usually around themes like design, photo, typo, PAO (publication with computer in french)...

AP and AD run smoothly but for some bugs like when I use the wacom tablet with stabiliser on little parts without zooming in (seems it doesn't like turning around at the end of a stroke with stabiliser), but the apps are fine, and most of the time the recovery file help after a crash. (I usually get a Firefox with a lot of tabs opened taking,  with Thunderbird a lot of my only 8G of memory...).

It run file too on an Windows 10 tablet, but it's not fit for using such programs (not enought screen :().

The only real problems I had was at work, on a Win 10 workstation, when I installed a buged font and AP and AD where crashing when loading fonts.  (I tested on Win 7, and the problem didn't occured... But I suspect it's partly Suitcase Fusion and the fonts updates on Win 10 that cause trouble).

There are so many computer configurations possible with PC, that it's difficult to debug. (And since Win 10, it's difficult to find logical answers to bugs... I don't know if I'm getting old or if it's Win 10... But it's the strangest OS I worked with... Even OS X and some Linux distro are a lot more logical ! :P)

[wrote on my phone, not sure if I'm to blame or it for typos]

Actually, Win Me and Vista where way, way worse than win 10 (and than Win XP). Specially Win Me. In so many areas (but particularly, in performance and stability). And although praised by many, and being XP a huge jump in stability and other matters compared to Windows 98 (win 95 was a crash fest, btw...in comparison. Even the previous Windows 3.11 was more stable), the fact is that win 7, 8.1 and 10 are more stable than XP, and, despite having a higher minimum RAM requirement, the memory is managed more efficiently... In my tests, 8.x and 10 get better memory and resources performance than 7, doing same tests with several performance critical apps. I'm not a lab, but hey....