You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TimesNewRoman Font when converting from Serif products

I have been a user of Serif products for years and wish to convert to Affinity products. So I have many Serif projects to convert into Affinity Designer projects.

I have exported the Serif Draw Plus files to SVG files so they can be imported into Affinity Designer.

The SVG files from Serif Draw have text boxes stored as:

<text x="0px" y="0px" style="font-family:'TimesNewRoman',  serif;font-size:32px;">Mains Power Security</text>

The text boxes have been changed after importing into Affinity into:

<text x="0px" y="0px" style="font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'Ugly Face', serif;font-size:32px;">Mains Power Security</text>

All my text boxes are now displayed in Ugly Face. YES - it is ugly and not usable.

I have tried edting the SVG file to change TimesNewRomanPSMT to TimesNewRoman and remove Ugly Face but my text boxes are still displayed in Ugly Face.

What needs to be done to ensure that the text boxes are displayed correctly in TimesNewRoman?

Richard

Try changing it to: 

<text x="0px" y="0px" style="font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:32px;">Mains Power Security</text>

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The Times New Roman font you have installed IS the Times New Roman PSMT font. A TrueType font can have different names. The most important ones are these:

• There is of course the file name, which is an abbreviated version of the name
  • The "Full Name", which in your case is "Times New Roman" 
  • The PostScript name, which in your case is "TimesNewRomanPSMT"

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have attached a copy of the SVG file that contains the font-family stack 

<text x="0px" y="0px" style="font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'Ugly Face', serif;font-size:32px;">New England Highway</text>

As suggested earlier, I replaced the above lines with:

<text x="0px" y="0px" style="font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'TimesNewRoman', serif;font-size:32px;">New England Highway</text>

Howerver, when "font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'TimesNewRoman', serif;font-size:32px;" is imported into Affinity it is transformed into "font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'Ugly Face', serif;font-size:32px;"

The SVG files that are exported from Serif Draw Plus  only contain references to "Times New Roman" - no "TimesNewRoman" or "TimesNewRomanPSMT". See below.

<text id="dp_text006" transform="matrix(1,0,0,1,465.749,786.665)" xml:space="preserve" fill="black" font-family="Times New Roman" font-size="32" font-weight="400" x="0" y="0">New England Highway</text>

Text boxes are displayed in Affinity as "Ugly Face". "Times New Roman" is displayed in the font drop down list but the displayed font is the ugly "Ugly Face". Where are my "Times New Roman" fonts which I can see in all other applications?

Richard

Village_TimesPSMT-UF.svg

All the fonts on my system display as Times New Roman, even though there is a reference to Ugly Face. Have you tried removing the Ugly Face font from the system and then saving the file?

Can you upload the .afdesign file, I'd like to export it from my system to an SVG to see what code I get and if that SVG opens as you expect it to on your system. I don't have the Ugly Face font installed.

2038871012_ScreenShot2018-06-05at06_55_21.thumb.png.b508eedfb29c71cbb1afb19759866c38.png

Is this the font by the way?

531390867_ScreenShot2018-06-05at06_58_46.thumb.png.b21fd2fd34da23bb9ed7c334301f293f.png

Thank you!!!!

I had not removed "Ugley Font" previously because I wished to solve the cause of the problem. Once I removed "Ugly Font", I expected the "Times New Roman" text boxes would be displayed as the default Serif system font. 

I did remove "Ugly Font" and all by text boxes are displayed as expected as "Times New Roman". When I export the Affinity files to SVG the text boxes are now defined as:

<text x="0px" y="0px" style="font-family:'TimesNewRomanPSMT', 'Times New Roman', serif;font-size:32px;">New England Highway</text>

Earlier I edited the SVG files to appear like this but it did not solve the problem. Only by removing "Ugly Font" did I obtain the expected results.

Thank you for your suggestion.

The question is - why does Affinity Designer decide to include "Ugly Font" in the SVG file?

Richard

It could be to do with the Ugly Face Font file itself not necessarily Affinity Designer.

This is the problem with the Ugly Face font.

1146393204_ScreenShot2018-06-05at08_04_20.thumb.png.91d8ac6a3a7c452b55b5d35e86dfa46d.png

No problem :D

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

This is the problem with the Ugly Face font.

Am I the only one confused by all the different naming conventions for fonts? I had never heard of TimesNewRomanPSMT (with the "PSMT" suffix) until I saw it mentioned here. A quick web search identified it as a "core MS font" which in turn got me to the Core fonts for the Web Wikipedia article. That inspired me to check the Times New Roman entry in Font Book on my Mac, which sure enough, identified its PostScript name as TimesNewRomanPSMT (& its Full name as Times New Roman in the Times New Roman Family).

OK, so far so good ... except that the Wikipedia article says the last version from the Core fonts for the Web project for Windows or Mac OS systems was 2.82 or 2.91 respectively, while Font Book tells me the version installed on my Mac is 5.01.3x & that its Unique name is Monotype:Times New Roman Regular:Version 5.01 (Microsoft).

So that is at least 3 different names for the same (?) font. Apparently there are many different versions of it installed on different systems around the world, some licensed & some maybe not; plus a number of other fonts like Ugly Face using the same "postscriptFontName" or "PostScript name" using considerably different (& probably far fewer) glyphs than the Times New Roman Family 5.x versions.

Considering all of that, I am more than a little amazed that the Affinity (or any other) apps that export to SVG can sort it all out & output anything useable. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So that is at least 3 different names for the same (?) font.

That’s correct. There’s the PostScript name, the ‘Full’ name and the file name.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/79889

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

That’s correct. There’s the PostScript name, the ‘Full’ name and the file name.

There is also (at least for Macs) the "Unique name" which is quite often very different from & much more verbose than any of the above. I tried to find out more about its purpose & use but all I could find of substance was a very complex Apple Developer reference that is way over my head.

I did find this Slate article that provides an interesting historical perspective of the evolution of font naming conventions in the pre-digital era, so I suppose the complexity of all the new naming stuff is just more of the same.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On Mac you can view such details in Font Book.

524948456_ScreenShot2018-06-06at08_45_51.png.596503989ebdb22e5c1cb101562a9378.png

1743815617_ScreenShot2018-06-06at08_47_15.png.0d112acb99cbaf8121c6d37595da68ef.png

41 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

On Mac you can view such details in Font Book.

Font Book displays the "Unique name" among the other details, like this:

169568485_FontBookinfo.png.e7063fd670ef5b06caedbcbf6a42c78e.png

I did not see anything like that in the Windows properties thing, so does anybody know if this a Mac only thing?

Affinity Photo