You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NoobTard Question #1: Move Tool Problems (yes... we are starting with BASICS!)

Context:

-I am a Hobbyist at Best. 

-I am a Self-admitted Technical-Tard (no offense to the 'politically correct).

-I am an 'Old School' Artist (real Pens, Pencils, Paintbrushes is what I'm Used to)

-I've used PS for 15 Years and can't stand it. Can't wait to understand/use Affinity better.

-I will be using Affinity to do album layouts, and clean up artwork for printing (using Designer to cleanup my logos).

1st Problem:

In AFF Photo & Designer.... I keep having a simple problem with the 'selecting' of items, specifically the 'Move Tool' & Resizing. If you look at the pic I attached... when I go to the corner 'node' of a shape to apply a simple 'size change' from that corner... more often than not it seems to act as a 'Right Click' and brings up a menu. I simply want to select the corner and change the size of what I selected. I'm having this issue in Photo & Designer.

I know its probably a setting I'm not used to.

And I know someone WAY smarter than I is going to (say "Dang this dude is dumb!" in their head) and help me out with this one.

I Thank You Ahead of Time!

ps... I love Affinity so far. I literally used my last dime to buy the software JUST off watching you guys work in the Serif programs. So I want to really attack all the 'problems' I have and learn to use Affinity well so I can support it and recommend it it.

aff clicking.jpg

1 hour ago, JeremiahDirt said:

when I go to the corner 'node' of a shape to apply a simple 'size change' from that corner... more often than not it seems to act as a 'Right Click' and brings up a menu.

That menu should appear only if in fact you do a right (or control) click on the canvas. Otherwise, with the Move tool selected as the pointer moves to one of the control handles (what you are calling nodes) its shape should change to arrows indicating the direction a resizing, rotating, or sheering drag will produce & dragging the pointer from that area should perform that action.

If it does not, my guess is you have some third party utility or mouse driver set to do a control-click with the button you are using as the primary one, or something similar is causing a primary button click to be interpreted as a secondary button click.

(I am saying "primary" & "secondary" because the Mac OS allows users to reverse the left & right button functions in System Preferences > Mouse.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R    I Agree with you completely. Its what I was thinking... that somehow my 'right-click' got reversed .

I do have a XP Pen pad (but its a whole 'nother issue of a learning curve that I've only used a couple times in Affinity.. and when I'm having this issue I wasnt using the pen/pad). And I was also messing around with the 'Shortcut Keys' (although I never touched the 'move tool' or any kind of 'right click' option). So I'm going to double check those options.             Funny thing is... I will select the 'Handle'... 5/8 times it will open the 'right click' menu... then on the 6th time, without me doing anything different, it will work as it should.

@R C-R   Yup... I just checked. None of the settings seem to be changed. ------ Plus,  like I mentioned last, it will 'right-click' a few times... and then do the right thing ('select') on the 4rth or 5th time. It's really vexing me! 

I noticed also that when I hold Shift down on the 'Handle', it doesn't resize the selected object equally on both sides like its supposed to. Such simple things.... but really frustrating obviously.

If anyone has had the same problem and fixed it... let me know! Thank you guys

6 hours ago, JeremiahDirt said:

I noticed also that when I hold Shift down on the 'Handle', it doesn't resize the selected object equally on both sides like its supposed to. Such simple things.... but really frustrating obviously.

You don't need to hold shift down, it will resize with aspect ratio by default and using a modifier key will disable the aspect ratio resizing. This is logical in the affinity world because how many times do you resize an object and NOT want it to be the same aspect ratio, the rest of the world has it wrong lol!

Re Mouse and right-clicking:

Are you clicking in the right place on the mouse? to far over to the right and it will right click if you have Secondary click active.

I wonder, have you tried a different keyboard, made sure the batteries are charged if you use the Magic Mouse, Cleaned the laser part of the mouse, it can get quite dusty up there, try blowing it out, also try another mouse if possible. 
Got the correct keyboard layout for your country? On the Bluetooth Keyboards the US and UK layouts are different so its worth checking that anyway; never ignore the obvious/givens :)

I use the XP-Pen Deco 03 but I get no interference from it. I also have 'Ink' turned on and have no issues. 

These are my Mouse settings.

1143521768_ScreenShot2018-05-26at08_58_06.png.c197d55d2bda1611ef47bd5ee201b216.png

33264679_ScreenShot2018-05-26at08_58_17.png.c73a61f1864638aa8327447afdea70c6.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

21 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You don't need to hold shift down, it will resize with aspect ratio by default and using a modifier key will disable the aspect ratio resizing.

That will depend on the setting of Preferences > Tools > Move Tool Aspect Constrain. The possibilities are Automatic (based on selection), Constrain by default, & Do not constrain by default.

8 hours ago, JeremiahDirt said:

Funny thing is... I will select the 'Handle'... 5/8 times it will open the 'right click' menu... then on the 6th time, without me doing anything different, it will work as it should.

What kind of mouse are you using? Like @firstdefence said, if you are using an Apple one with touch sensors instead of physical buttons, it could be that you are clicking too near the center of the sensors to activate a primary click reliably.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@JeremiahDirt I too was thinking the same as @R C-R

What kind of mouse are you using? 

I ended up growing my wireless mouse because it was double clicking or right clicking when I didn't wanted it to. Whatever setup I changed on my Mac I was having the same problem, my solution, I bought myself a wired Lenovo mouse and since, I have got back the control of my work. 

Yes sometime it's not affinity or the software we use but... The equipment we chose to use so just try and see if it solves your problem or helps 

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

17 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Whatever setup I changed on my Mac I was having the same problem, my solution, I bought myself a wired Lenovo mouse and since, I have got back the control of my work. 

One of the possible problems with Bluetooth connected peripherals is interference from USB 3 devices. I am not sure this could cause primary clicks to be misinterpreted as secondary ones, but regardless testing with a cheap wired mouse should quickly show if the issue involves wireless connectivity.

Affinity Photo 

Ok... @firstdefence & @R C-R & @Arnaud Mez   

You guys are awesome for replying.

Let me answer your questions / address your suggestions:

1. I am only using my laptop trackpad. I am NOT using my XP Pen (I only used that a few times to see how it works with Affinity Software... I'm actually having 'pressure' issues but thats a WHOLE nutha topic I'll start elsewhere). So I am ONLY having this 'right-click' issue with my laptop trackpad (MAC book Pro, High Sierra OS 10.13.4.)

2. Still having the issue with 'shift'/move 'Handles'... just moving the 'Handles' is supposed to resize equally on both 'sides' of the object automatically... mine is not doing that. I have to hold down shift.

Report: I have changed my pc preferences to match @Arnaud Mez 's. SO FAR... I have not had the 'right-click' problem!

5 minutes ago, JeremiahDirt said:

2. Still having the issue with 'shift'/move 'Handles'... just moving the 'Handles' is supposed to resize equally on both 'sides' of the object automatically... mine is not doing that. I have to hold down shift.

Try ⇧+⌘+Drag

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

22 minutes ago, JeremiahDirt said:

Note that the Status bar (the line of text at the bottom of the window) is context sensitive & will tell you which modifier keys (Shift, CMD, etc.) do what if you hover the Move Tool pointer directly over any of the handles. It also tells you which modifier keys will do what if you hover the pointer over the area just outside the handles where shearing or rotation will occur, & where applicable what a double-click on a handle will do.

Affinity Photo