You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradients. solid to no color? addition of more colors? Gradient control handle?

You're going to get tired of me saying this..but..."in fireworks I can" make a gradient that goes from a solid color to no color. Or rather I can set either of the two colors to whatever transparency I want. One end can be 100% and other 0% for example or anything in between. This is useful for so many things I cant even tell you.

Im fiddling with affinity designer and gradient as Im porting things from FW to AF. but I do not see a way to set the second color to no color or even to 0 transparency. Im assuming this is operator error on my part. I swear Im looking at it and clicking on everything. but it looks like the gradient requires two colors and transparency applies to the entire object not to one color of the gradient or even one end of the gradient.

Also with fireworks you can add little marker that lets you add other colors to a gradient between the two main colors. I do not see that ability in affinity. If it can do this can someone point me to a tutorial, and if not let me know as Id like to add this as a request for a future ability.

In addition controlling the gradient seems a lot harder in FW. In FW I grab the gradient handle--move it to adjust the gradient where I want it and can also use the gradient menu for additional control or features of a gradient.You could pull this handle (sometimes more than one handle depending on type of gradient) far, far, far out beyond the object and thereby do a lot more than a simple gradient. I see sliders in the gradient menu but not a control handle(s). Possible I just don't know how to get the handle? Or its really only the sliders in the gradient menu?

To begin with, I suggest watching the Affinity Designer - Complex Gradients & Affinity Designer - Transparency Tool video tutorials. Note that you can also work on the gradients on the canvas using the Gradient Tool, for example clicking on the gradient line anywhere along its length to add a new color stop, to move a middle one, or to move the midpoint color marker between two stops. The 'dedicated' panel in the video allows precision (numerical) settings, but otherwise I find it easier to do everything on the canvas.

You can also use the Color Studio panel to set the color or transparency of a selected stop (using the bottom slider in the panel labeled "Opacity" to set transparency), & of course you can use the Transparency Tool to set transparency independently of anything else.

To move the end stop beyond the object, use the Gradient Tool on the canvas. It is also (I think) the only way to rotate or otherwise control the 2D properties of the 2D gradients (ellipse, etc.).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For the first querstion, did you try this?

Transp.png

Now, in that pop-up menu, you can add color by clicking on it, and move them or set the position of it.

Transp2.png

Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...

OMG! THANK YOU.  In adobe you add points for color in the popup gradient control menu. It never occurred to me to click to add in the image! Now if I can just figure out how to get the gradient popup to stay open. I tried to tear off the panel to let it float and stay open but it wont budge. Ill go google. but WOOOOOOHOOOO> Thank you. I had a DOH moment when I realized the reason I did not see the transparency was because my canvas was white. Some days I wonder how many neurons Im losing a day. TY TY TY!

On 5/25/2018 at 3:45 PM, Mithferion said:

For the first querstion, did you try this?

Now, in that pop-up menu, you can add color by clicking on it, and move them or set the position of it.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, dizeyner said:

. I tried to tear off the panel to let it float and stay open but it wont budge. Ill go google

As of now, there is no "Gradients Panel", just the pop-up menu. Also, I forgot to mention that in Designer there is a dedicated transparency tool. So, you can have Gradients and Transparencies in different directions:

Grad_Transp.png

Best regards!

2 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

As of now, there is "Gradients Panel", just the pop-up menu.

I think you might have left a word out in that....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think you might have left a word out in that....

True that; edited. Thanks. :)

Best regards!