You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity open DrawPlus files for editing?

Hi there, I was wondering if Affinity will open .dps files for editing?

I'm interested in switching to Affinity, however, I have a LOT of .dps files I need access to constantly.

Thank you!

anj

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @anj. :)

The Affinity apps don’t import any of Serif’s legacy formats. You’ll need to export selected DP objects to SVG, or publish whole pages as PDF.

Once your exported DP content is successfully imported into Affinity Designer, the objects can be added to the Assets panel for later use.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

I really like Affinity Designer - it has a modern accessible interface and is very powerful, but I have a large amount of graphic content that I re-use in Serif Drawplus.

I would happily pay for a format converter.

I have tried saving as PDF and importing to Affinity Designer, but the resulting objects are not usable, and in almost most cases I would be better off redrawing them from scratch. I do feel, after supporting DrawPlus for a very long time, quite let down... :-(

• Staff

Hi Tom Mouat,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no feature parity between the legacy PagePlus and Affinity Designer. Some features you have in PagePlus have no equivalent in Designer and so there's no way to translate them to the new program. A "format converter" wouldn't do much better than exporting to PDF at this point.

• 5 months later...

IF YOU HAVE SERIF DRAWPLUS YOU DO NOT NEED AFFINITY. I have been using Serif DrawPlus since first edition and have bought everything up to Draw Pus 7. I bought Infinity because it was cheap enough, but ya, I have hundreds of Serif DrawPlus files (.dps) that I use. I found out Affinity does not reconise the Serif files...very frustrating. I cannot use Infinity Designer it is useless to me. I am not going to start over now. Maybe they will make a converter. But if you have Serif files don’t buy affinity. They could have at least made it compatible.

Cheers!

• 7 months later...

This is a huge major oversight!! 

BTW ... MEB (posted last) year you don;t even seem to know what Serif DrawPlus is and have confused it with another product. How can you be a QA / Support when you don't even know the basic packages customers are talking about?

I bought Affinity because the Serif Draw I was using started to get glitchy, I presumed it was starting to get old and the only update (I emailed to check) was Affinity. But at no point did the email state that once you buy the supposed update you couldn't use it for any of your existing graphics.

I have been Mis-Sold!!! Not a happy bunny. There should at the very least be an import or convert option.

23 minutes ago, 2wheelDeal said:

the only update (I emailed to check) was Affinity

Welcome here in the forums, 2wheelDeal. Affinity was never been an update for other Serif products and before buying/trying everybody can check the features/specs.

36 minutes ago, 2wheelDeal said:

I have been Mis-Sold!!! Not a happy bunny.

You could have tried the free trial, and then you would have known.

However, if you purchased directly from Serif (not from Apple or Microsoft) within the past 14 days then you can email affinityreturns@serif.com to initiate a return, and get your money back.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, 2wheelDeal said:

BTW ... MEB (posted last) year you don;t even seem to know what Serif DrawPlus is and have confused it with another product. How can you be a QA / Support when you don't even know the basic packages customers are talking about?

I bought Affinity because the Serif Draw I was using started to get glitchy, I presumed it was starting to get old and the only update (I emailed to check) was Affinity. But at no point did the email state that once you buy the supposed update you couldn't use it for any of your existing graphics.

I have been Mis-Sold!!! Not a happy bunny. There should at the very least be an import or convert option.

Not sure what you have been mis-sold on. You have wrongly assumed something. They do not even have the same name. You do not see Adobe coming out with a new version of Illustrator and labeling it something new. They change the version number as the application progresses. There have been no claims made that this software is an update to software with a different name. If Serif Draw is getting glitchy it may be time for a fresh install of the application or even your OS. 

And as Walt has mentioned there is a FREE demo available in which you could have tried and quickly seen that this software is not an upgrade for Serif Draw. Hopefully you are in the return time window. End of the day though this is your mistake and not Serifs. 

• Staff

@2wheelDeal

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

BTW ... MEB (posted last) year you don;t even seem to know what Serif DrawPlus is.....

I do not think that MEB mistyping the name of a product DrawPlus as PagePlus is helpful or relevant here. He has never supported those products and as he is a more recent employee focused solely on the Affinity range.

4 hours ago, 2wheelDeal said:

But at no point did the email state that once you buy the supposed update you couldn't use it for any of your existing graphics.

Marketing emails rarely tell you what a product does not do, and I doubt you really expect that it would. I think the problem may be that you have assumed the software is an "Update" but that Serif may have used the word Update meaning that we are constantly updating Affinity to add more features (at no extra cost) so 1.8 is an update that has new features that 1.7 did not have. Affinity Designer does not offer the same features as DrawPlus and would not be able to import much better than the SVG Import or PDF import already implemented.

4 hours ago, 2wheelDeal said:

I have been Mis-Sold!!

You really haven't, but as your purchase was in the last few days, you have plenty of time to email AffinityReturns@serif.com and ask for your money back under our 14 day no quibble returns policy.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

2 hours ago, wonderings said:

I have been Mis-Sold!!!

You really haven't, but as your purchase was in the last few days, you have plenty of time to email AffinityReturns@serif.com and ask for your money back under our 14 day no quibble returns policy.

hopefully wonderings is not 2wheelDeal

1 minute ago, wonderings said:

Not sure what that is supposed to mean.

Patrick originally lifted quotes such as

I have been Mis-Sold!!

from your post, so the words were wrongly attributed to you.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

My quotes from @2wheelDeal were incorrectly attributed to you because I used your post as the source so this

22 hours ago, 2wheelDeal said:

looked like this

20 hours ago, wonderings said:

I went back and edited my post to make it better, but left Oval's post as it was right at the time. He was basically telling me I had used the quote button incorrectly and for that I was grateful

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

My quotes from @2wheelDeal were incorrectly attributed to you because I used your post as the source so this

looked like this

I went back and edited my post to make it better, but left Oval's post as it was right at the time. He was basically telling me I had used the quote button incorrectly and for that I was grateful

ahh thought something was flying right over my head. I do enjoy 2 wheels being an avid motorcyclist, and I do like deals as well, maybe it is an alt account for a split personality of mine... you may have rightly associated it with me and help identify a mental issue I should get help with!

• 2 years later...

I appreciate the sentiments of a few here. I too have had most of the Draw/Page/Web/Plus series.

I bought Affinity Photo first as it was not really tied to anything else. However PagePlus was convenient for making and editing PDFs. Affinity Publisher 1 didn't export to PDF but vs 2 does now so I bought the combination offer pack (only £15 more to get three over the price of two individual programs) I will just make my new publications with Publisher now and keep Pageplus on for incompatibilities.

from research I find that Designer doesn't import DrawPlus files. At present I will keep Drawplus on for the same reasons. However for new projects I will just use Designer. Eventually i will recede from both Draw and Page Plus programs.

I don't really think Affinity was sold to me as compatible suite. I researched them all in advance. The import and export facilities are there for anyone to read in advance thouhg i understand that it would have been nice to have had compatibility.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Publisher V1 certainly did export to PDF, from the very first version.

Wow.. I asked specifically about this when Affinity Publisher 1 came out and was told by a representative.. 'not at present'; So I put it off.. never mind I was happy to use PP till now.

• 8 months later...

I desperately need to open a set of my DrawPlus X8 drawings from 2018. I have a paid-for copy of the program but I can't find my serial number to reinstall it. I've noticed the tip to use 881890 (?) as a universal serial number but how can I do this when the install process requires four sets of four numbers?

I have a deadline of 16 August.

I've bought the full set of Affinity since the beginning but find it amazing that Affinity Designer won't recognise DrawPlus files.

Peter Croft

For DrawPlus support (unofficial) try this forum

https://punster.me/serif/

Or find a secondhand copy of DrawPlus on the Internet which comes with a licence

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, PeteC said:

I've noticed the tip to use 881890 (?) as a universal serial number

That isn't a Serial Number, it's (almost!) the universal Registration Key. You still need your unique Serial Number to install the software, but you can then use 881887 instead of contacting Serif for the Registration Key to complete the installation.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad