Fuchsig

Copying Symbol from one Document into an other

There is a bug, that occured when I tried to copy an Object, from which I generated a Symbol into an other document.

I realized, that the object was still marked as symbol after I did the copy. Within the symbols tool window of the new document, the symbol was not listed. When I tried to delete the symbol state, the application crashed immediately.

On restart, Affinity restored the work I did, but took up a lot of cpu power, so my fan started to spin like crazy. Finally, the application crashed again.

On second restart, Affinity designer worked normal.

I've seen this bug too.

Sometimes the copied symbol does appear in the Symbols panel, and other times not.

Here is a simple example to show the bug…

1. Make a Symbol
  2. Copy to clipboard
  3. File > New from Clipboard
  4. Object is pasted, as a symbol, but doesn't appear in the Symbols Panel.
  5. But, File > New
  6. Paste
  7. Object is pasted, as a symbol, and does appear in the Symbols Panel

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

Is there a way of saving symbols like brushes, so if required the symbols could be loaded in. I sometimes annotate OS maps using the same symbol, or building plans again using a standard set of symbols. Currently, I use a standard file and then add the map etc, however, if I am sent a map file that has some information already on I have to try and copy etc.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:45 AM, SteveP110 said:

Is there a way of saving symbols like brushes, so if required the symbols could be loaded in. I sometimes annotate OS maps using the same symbol, or building plans again using a standard set of symbols. Currently, I use a standard file and then add the map etc, however, if I am sent a map file that has some information already on I have to try and copy etc.

There does not seem to be any way to export/import symbols, other than opening a document that has them (a kind of template) to start your work, or copying them from such a document into another document.

If you copy them from a source document into a target via copy/paste, they are still symbols in the new document.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

On 3/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, SteveP110 said:

You can use the Assets panel to store Symbols.