You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to feather in Affinity Designer

Im in the process of trying to convert my fireworks files over to affinity. This means I have to redo a lot of things like gradients and feathering. I cant find a way in affinity to feather the edges of my vectors. is it called something else in Affinity designer? This is something I use a LOT to soften edges. Aliasing doesnt go far enough. thats like one or two pixels. My feathering can go as high as 300 pixels depending on size of the vector and the blend I need. 

alternate way to do this?

Ive uploaded a file which shows a small section of one of the images i have to rework into affinity. It shows a ring which relys on gradients and feathering to create shadows and highlights on my metal ring. Its how I "paint" for lack of a better way to describe it. As noted, I rely heavily on feathering. This image is one of the simplest that I hope demonstrates what Im trying to recreate without having to relearn some other method.  Its bad enough, have to say, that Im losing a lot of work that has to be recreated other ways. Really hoping this can be done. 

Note the brown ring is feathered inside the ring and outside the ring. The blue sphere is feathered around the outside. I have a lot of irregular shaped vectors that are feathered in addition to using gradients on the same vector. These dont use a gradient. But much of my work does use both on same bit of vector. I use these to build up an image in the same way you might build up brush strokes on a painting to get a particular effect.

Was desperate enough to go back to Adobe but alas they are no longer affordable. Its over 50 dollars a month if you need illustrator and photoshop. There is nothing in their application setup that can do any of what fireworks could do with regard to effects etc. Nothing. Mind boggling.

how do I feather in affinity flat.png

You might want to try feathering the edge by applying a gaussian blur. Click on the fx icon at the bottom of the layers panel and tick the gaussian blur option. Adjust the slider to get the amount of feather (blur) you want. The slider only goes to 100 pixels, but you can get a higher value by typing a number in the box at the end of the slider.

feathered edge.afdesign

Feathered edge.JPG

iMac (24 inch, M1, 8 cores, 16 GB Memory, 2021)

iPad Pro 12.9", 3rd Generation

Added a Bitmap fill for the texture and tweaked with fx for shadows and blur like Bobdaubs mentioned.

1619404619_ScreenShot2018-05-25at07_39_48.png.2edea7da39d629f8db557c7fa5b2025b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, dizeyner

Having no prior experience w. fireworks, I don't know what i'm seeing in the 3rd portion of the image you posted . "this is what i'm left w..."

Can't tell if it is a vector or a pixel object. Can you post the file?

Designer does have a "feather" operation for pixel selection. It has  gaussian blur effect for vector objects, as mentioned above. I have no idea about which of those may or may not work to convert your files.

Think what you want is possible, but do fear a lot of re-working

Fake.thumb.jpg.a601798cfcfc7dbe189277e6da5b4188.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

DOH! Thanks guys. Gaussian is working for the most part. In fireworks we had gaussian blur and feather. Gaussian was more for blurring across the entire image as opposed to feathering an edge. Looks like in AF gaussian works like feather. At least on vectors!

5 minutes ago, dizeyner said:

DOH! Thanks guys. Gaussian is working for the most part. In fireworks we had gaussian blur and feather. Gaussian was more for blurring across the entire image as opposed to feathering an edge. Looks like in AF gaussian works like feather. At least on vectors!

You can also use the transparency tool to get feathered edges

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Try Radial / Linear transparency to fade the edges of a shape. Works well in certain situations, especially where the shape is close to circular / elliptical or has a straight edge.

You can Group an object (even a single object) multiple times and add different transparencies to each group to achieve some complex results.

See attached file.

Affinity Grouped Transparency.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

8 hours ago, dizeyner said:

I dont understand how that would feather just the edge. It seems to apply to the whole image selected.  Can you explain?

lets say you have a circle and you want to feather the left edge, applying a gaussian blur will affect the whole circle, but transparency adds a more focused and potentially layered approach, this gives you the ability to make subtle shades and tonal patterns, it also allows better control over feathering an edge. Its just another option, try it and play with it to see what effects you can achieve. Transparency and Colours.afdesign

951158043_ScreenShot2018-05-26at07_38_17.png.d7e4d937ef2266533a96e38925cca181.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...