You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

Sometimes I use AP to resize my pictures to put on IG in a correct size, i.e. without letting IG crop out them.

The way I follow on AP, create a canvas by File/New, and the place the picture by File/Place and then resize the picture according to the canvas, export the new file and put it on IG.

However when I do this, the new file doesn't have the EXIF data of the original picture. I need the GPS information especially.

Would it be possible at all to get the GPS info on the new file?

Cheers,

F

• Staff

Hi fatihayoglu,

Welcome to the forums :) 
May I ask what format you are exporting your resized image as? In the 'More...' options of the export pane for JPEG, PNG & TIFF there is a checkbox for 'Embed Metadata', please double check this is ticked!

You can view the EXIF data of your file at any time by going to View > Studio > EXIF

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, fatihayoglu said:

I export as JPG and my canvas size is 1350x1080. If I open the same photo standalone, I can see the EXIF data but if I place it over a canvas, that EXIF disappears.

This is perfectly normal behavior.

If you put SEVERAL pictures on your canvas, which EXIF should the document 'inherit'?

• Staff

As @Merde has mentioned, placing images will not open or retain any EXIF data, as the program would either have to always use the EXIF from the first photo placed, or allow for a selection from each photo placed. I'd recommend using File>Open and then resizing the document :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

46 minutes ago, fatihayoglu said:

I guess I found the solution, so first I resize the canvas and then resize the document (which is the picture). This holds all the EXIF data

I'm curious why you don't simply use File->Open and then resize the document. It feels like you're doing several steps that are unnecessary, but perhaps I just don't understand all the details and rationale for what you're doing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious why you don't simply use File->Open and then resize the document. It feels like you're doing several steps that are unnecessary, but perhaps I just don't understand all the details and rationale for what you're doing.

It is also possible, I couldn't explain myself clearly. As you might know, Instagram has weird crop ratio for horizontal and vertical pictures and more importantly, if the picture you'd like to put doesn't fit into these ratios, it crops it. So the issue is then, you might lose the composition. I am not saying here that I am Van Gogh of photo world but sometimes I would like to keep my composition.

When you resize the document (as far as I can see), it just crops it on Affinity, so you might lose the composition. However if you change the size of the canvas as well, then yes you will have some white areas around the picture but then it will be the exact same picture that you'd like to have and IG won't crop it as the document ratio fits into the IG perfectly.

original pictureresized pictureresized picture with resized canvas

As you can see from this example, if you resize the document, what Affinity does it shrink the photo.

(1st one is the original, 2nd one is resized, 3rd one is resized photo with resized canvas)

1 hour ago, fatihayoglu said:

As you can see from this example, if you resize the document, what Affinity does it shrink the photo.

I'd rather use 'resize" with locked aspect ratio and then "resize canvas" if I were you.