You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Is it possible to connect layers (e.g. an pixel layer and an adjustment layer with mask) so the connected layer would move with the other one when dragging it around?
I have a painted shadow and want to move the layer with the shadow casting object to reposition it.
(Yes I know, I also could move both layers in one go by selectin both. I just wondered, if there was the ability to connect layers)

• Staff

Hi maxen,
In the first case ("e.g. an pixel layer and an adjustment layer with mask") just drag the adjustment over the pixel layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel until you see a small vertical blue bar on the right of the thumbnail. This will nest the adjustment or filter to that layer (and it will only affect it). All adjustements/filters include a built-in mask, so you can use/paint on them (black/white/greyscale) as you do with regular masks to limit their effect to a specific area of the layer.

To link to layers (no matter the type) you can group them, or depending on the use/case you can also clip one inside another. To do this drag the pixel layer (or other layer type) over the other layer in the Layers panel (not it's thumbnail but the area on the right). when you move the parent layer the clipped layer will also move with it.

• 10 months later...

Hi There,

I have the same question. I have 3 layers, and i need the top one and bottom one to be linked: when i move the top one, i want the bottom one to move with it, and also when i move the bottom one, i want the top one to move with. Is this possible to achieve?

33 minutes ago, Acapulco said:

Hi There,

I have the same question. I have 3 layers, and i need the top one and bottom one to be linked: when i move the top one, i want the bottom one to move with it, and also when i move the bottom one, i want the top one to move with. Is this possible to achieve?

Hi there. I'm guessing that you're using Affinity Photo since the default adjustment nesting is different in Designer. You can have adjustments nest within pixel layers by default if you'd like. To the right of the snapping options on the main toolbar is an icon that looks like a tuxedo, the Assistant Manager. Clicking that will open a list of options. Change the one that says "Add adjustment as new layer" to "Add adjustment as child layer." Cheers!

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

56 minutes ago, Acapulco said:

Hi There,

And what do you want to happen with the middle layer when you move the top and bottom one? Is there some reason you want it in the middle?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Hi there. I'm guessing that you're using Affinity Photo since the default adjustment nesting is different in Designer. You can have adjustments nest within pixel layers by default if you'd like. To the right of the snapping options on the main toolbar is an icon that looks like a tuxedo, the Assistant Manager. Clicking that will open a list of options. Change the one that says "Add adjustment as new layer" to "Add adjustment as child layer." Cheers!

thanks!

12 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Sorry forgot to mention it was with affinity designer, not affinity photo. I'm working with curves and shapes, didn't see any option to do what i'd like to achieve :/

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And what do you want to happen with the middle layer when you move the top and bottom one? Is there some reason you want it in the middle?

I want the middle not to move. The reason i want it in the middle is that the top and bottom are actually part of a hat i made, so there is the front of the hat and the rear of the hat. The middle layer is my character wearing the hat. So i want the front of my hat to cover the forehead of my character, but i don't want the rear (which actually is more the inside of the hat, and the hat is wear slightly bended rear) to cover my character, just the side of the rear of the hat to appear on the side of my character head (it actually just serve the purpose to add some depth to the hat, i added some shadow inside this layer).

I figured out i could select both top and bottom layer with shift pressed, but i wondered if there was a simple way to associate those 2 layers so that they move together when i want to adjust the position of the hat on top of my character head :)

Would it make sense to just lock the character layer?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!