You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing Macros

I am new to this program and am trying to load the free macros supplied with the purchase. On the Mac version they went in fine but I cannot see them when trying to load them onto the iPad Pro. The link does not want to work and I was sent the files via an email. I loaded these into iCloud and used that path when importing. The program appears very different to the Mac version. Any help will be appreciated.

• Staff

Hi Paul_C,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Tap the Macros Studio icon on the right (looks like a play button - almost on bottom), then tap the small menu icon on the top of the Macros Studio and select Import Macros.... Then pick the  live-filters.afmacros file (you will not see the extension just the live-filters name) you have placed on iCloud. To access them tap the button on top of the Macros Studio (it probably says <Default>) to open a pop-up, scroll that pop-up and select Live Filters (which are the ones you imported) to display them.

Also new to this, so my question is how to connect macros tio the program Affinity: I downloaded  2 groups of macros. they appear in the macro library, but the question now is how can I make these macros active in the macro panelimage.png.277f6a57fd0c886fa4e3173eeed12106.png

• Staff

Hi Gusp,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you want to inspect/edit them in the Macro panel right-click on them in the Library panel and select Edit Macro. The steps will then appear in the Macro panel. If you meant to run them instead,  just click on them in the Library panel.

Note: the original question was about the iPad version. You are using the desktop version.

• 1 year later...

I too am trying to add a macro (as well as some LUTs) to AP iPad 1.7.2. I have tried to import into AP as described above but the .afmacros file is greyed out in I Cloud within the Files app. I also have tried to Share the file from within the Files app but copying to AP is not one of the available options. 

Is there something I’m missing here? Is there a way to include AP as an option for sharing?

BTW I’m running iOS 12.4.1 on an iPad Air 2.

9 hours ago, Bruce Atkinson said:

the .afmacros file is greyed out in I Cloud within the Files app.

If you open Files app and navigate to iCloud directly (rather than through Affinity Photo), does the .afmacros file still appear greyed out?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

5 hours ago, DM1 said:

If you open Files app and navigate to iCloud directly (rather than through Affinity Photo), does the .afmacros file still appear greyed out?

No it's not but as I said if I then try to Share the .afmacros file, Affinity Photo is not available in the Share Menu (including not available in the "More" part.

16 hours ago, Bruce Atkinson said:

I have tried to import into AP as described above but the .afmacros file is greyed out in I Cloud within the Files app.

I'm not an iPad user, nor even a Mac user, so I'm really guessing here, but why are you using the Files app?

You import the .afmacros file from wihtin Photo, as MEB described in the second post in this topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not an iPad user, nor even a Mac user, so I'm really guessing here, but why are you using the Files app?

You import the .afmacros file from wihtin Photo, as MEB described in the second post in this topic.

Yes I’ve tried that. It does not work. That’s what the “A’s described above” was referring to. 

Don’t mistake an “nnnn.afmacro” single macro file for a “nnnn.afmacros” multiple macros library. The desktop can open both, the iPad can only import the latter.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

57 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Don’t mistake an “nnnn.afmacro” single macro file for a “nnnn.afmacros” multiple macros library. The desktop can open both, the iPad can only import the latter.

Aha!! That's got it. My file was actually  nnnn.afmacro. Loaded it into the desktop AP then exported as nnnn.afmacros then installed on iPad no problem from Files app. Thanks very, very much.

• 6 months later...

I have just downloaded the free macros with Photo 1.8 and am trying to import them into the macro panel.  When I click on Import it takes me to Windows file explorer which is set to show *.macro files.  I have typed the jr-channel.macros name into the file name box and clicked on open but nothing seems to happen.

Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Mike Turpin said:

I have just downloaded the free macros with Photo 1.8 and am trying to import them into the macro panel.  When I click on Import it takes me to Windows file explorer which is set to show *.macro files.  I have typed the jr-channel.macros name into the file name box and clicked on open but nothing seems to happen.

Any ideas?

You mention Windows but this thread is in the iPad section, are you actually on iPad or Windows?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

6 hours ago, Mike Turpin said:

Any ideas?

If you're on Windows, then as Paul mentioned, you're in the wrong forum :)

Additionally, you're in the wrong studio panel. You need the Library panel to import a .afmacros file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1