You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the maximum file size forAffinity Photo for Ipad

Hello.

I have Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for the PC. Awesome programs.

I am interested in purchasing Affinity Photo for the Ipad.

I have an Ipad Pro 512 Gig, latest update.

I will have images that are at least 9000 X 9000 pixels, which may have four layers or more.

Will Affinity Photo for the Ipad manage these files?

What would be the largest size in pixels that my Ipad Pro can manage?

Many thanks for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Seeya.

• Staff

Hi paul,

It's hard to say yes or no as it really depends on the files and layers you're working on. Live filters, for example, will have a great impact on performance. More, it's not that it will not handle it, it's about how fast or slow it will handle it. Some operations will take longer than others. Also, bear in mind that you're gonna be working on an 80Mp image on a mobile device, and you will not have the same response as the desktop. You're basically limited by the hardware, not by the software itself. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

1 minute ago, GabrielM said:

You're basically limited by the hardware, not by the software itself. 

Are you saying there’s no theoretical maximum (unlike Serif’s legacy applications, which are limited to 64 megapixels)? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, GabrielM said:

You are limited to 256000 x 256000 ( 65.5 Gigapixels)  . I doubt somebody will ever come anywhere near that on the iPad. 

So what happens if you have (for example) a 32GB iPad? Is the limit lower?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

At a colour depth of 24 bits per pixel, each pixel takes up 3 bytes of memory. So an uncompressed 10 GPix image would take up almost all of the available storage on a 32 GB iPad, and a 64 GPix image would probably be too big even if very heavily compressed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

At a colour depth of 24 bits per pixel, each pixel takes up 3 bytes of memory. So an uncompressed 10 GPix image would take up almost all of the available storage on a 32 GB iPad, and a 64 GPix image would probably be too big even if very heavily compressed.

That is what I was thinking, too.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I would think the limit would be determined by the CPU's 4GB ram in iPad Pro?

Storage (512GB) is not the issue, it’s whether AP on iPad has enough ram to work with an image that size. Does AP utilise memory swapping? I don't think it does.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Does AP utilise memory swapping? I don't think it does.

I am almost certain that it does.

Affinity Photo