You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When Affinity Photo and Designer Open up you can Download Samples. Where do they go?

When you open up Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer you can look at sample files and see how these files were made.

So I go to download them and then I can't find them. I have no idea where they download to. You'd think they'd just wind up in the "Downloads" file or something, but no.

I looked at a tutorial and all it said is "Look at where you save your files" which isn't helpful because they're not where I save my files.

• Staff

Hi orphanlast,

Once the sample has downloaded, the Cloud icon next to the preview of the sample will disappear and then you can just click on the preview image of the sample and the sample will load.  This is all done from the Welcome screen and no need to go looking in your downloads folder for a file :) 

Are you using a Mac or a Windows PC? On a Mac, the sample files accessible from the Welcome screen go into a normally hidden folder, a subfolder at path /private/var/folders/. The full path includes a long alphanumeric string that is likely different for different users and/or OS versions, but it is easy enough to find with one of the sample files open using the Affinity File menu > Reveal in Finder item. I think there is an equivalent 'Reveal in Explorer' command on the file menu for the Windows versions, but I am not sure of that or of its exact name because I don't use Windows PCs.

FWIW, on Macs the private folder is hidden because the OS manages its contents. Users generally should not modify anything in it directly to avoid problems.

Geeky Mac stuff: According to the HIER(7) man page, /var/ is used for "multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files," & /var/folders/ contains "per-user temporary files and caches." (If you want to see the 'local copy' of the man page for the Mac OS version you are running, you can enter without the quotes "man /usr/share/man/man7/hier.7" in Terminal.) The sample files are treated as temporary items & will be deleted eventually, usually whenever you restart the Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 5/24/2018 at 1:17 AM, stokerg said:

Hi orphanlast,

Once the sample has downloaded, the Cloud icon next to the preview of the sample will disappear and then you can just click on the preview image of the sample and the sample will load.  This is all done from the Welcome screen and no need to go looking in your downloads folder for a file :) 

thank you