You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would be really nice to have Krita's Assistant Tool

Krita is a free open source piece of Painting software. It's really nice... but it's a resource hog. I was using it as my primary art program before purchasing Affinity Photo and Affinity Design. The problem is this: Inside programs like Photoshop, Affinity products, and many others -- there's really not any tools for working in perspective. The only exception to the rule is Sketchbook Pro... but even their perspective tools pale in comparison to what you can do with Krita's Assistant tool (Of course, Sketchbook Pro's tools for perspective work a bit better, but they just aren't as versatile).

Now Affinity has the Perspective Warp, which is cool. If I wanted to draw each face to a building individually with a HEAD ON view, I can transform them into perspective. That's cool. But I know how to draw perspective, I don't need to cheat the workflow. I can work just as fast WITH REAL perspective drawing tools. And Fisheye perspective -- the sorts of perspective tools that you can make as seen in the book "Prospettiva ZeroSei Manuale di Prospettiva Lineare e Curvilinea" that would be a godsend. Sometimes I like drawing backgrounds for 2D animation, and being able to draw one image that's a full 360 degrees is awesome. (I teach a few ways of drawing like that on my youtube channel youtube.com/orphanlast).

Anyways -- Krita's Open Source. So, you can look at the code swipe it, improve it (and it does need some improvement), and Affinity can come out of it with NOT needing to do much R&D for this feature, having something that even the industry standard art program doesn't have and it'd be better than what ANY art program has done prior.

Just saying -- this could work out really well for Affinity photo

Just out of curiosity, I assume you are working on a Mac? I ask, because Krita works like a charm on my (almost) decade old i7 920. The Krita devs are working on improving Mac performance.

Anyway, Krita is indeed slow on Intel and lower GPUs. if you are interested in painting/drawing software with very nice perspective tools (not as nice as Krita, though) and very responsive even on very low hardware (it runs absolutely smooth on my aging i5/intel chipset 4gb Windows 7 tablet with 600ppi A4 files!), I'd suggest you look into Clipstudio https://www.clipstudio.net/en

I love painting in Krita, but it runs at a snail's pace on that table. And Clipstudio offers by far the nicest drawing "feel" of all drawing software I worked with so far.

Just out of curiosity, I assume you are working on a Mac?

Nope.

I ask, because Krita works like a charm on my (almost) decade old i7 920. The Krita devs are working on improving Mac performance.

I have an economic laptop. A few years old. 

Anyway, Krita is indeed slow on Intel and lower GPUs. if you are interested in painting/drawing software with very nice perspective tools (not as nice as Krita, though) and very responsive even on very low hardware (it runs absolutely smooth on my aging i5/intel chipset 4gb Windows 7 tablet with 600ppi A4 files!), I'd suggest you look into Clipstudio https://www.clipstudio.net/en

I'm not really apt to buy any more software, really. I mean I just downloaded Sketchbookpro, which is free now. And although it has some perspective tools. It pales in comparison to the curvilinear perspective work that you can do with Krita because the assistant tool allows you to construct your grids. Continuous 4 point perspective, as an example is impossible in Sketchbook pro. And I'd wager a bet, it's probably impossible on clipstudio

I love painting in Krita, but it runs at a snail's pace on that table. And Clipstudio offers by far the nicest drawing "feel" of all drawing software I worked with so far.

Maybe eventually. But my youtube channel is mainly centered on artists on a budget. I've been using Krita for quite some time because all that's required to get up an running with Krita is a computer and a graphics tablet. Well -- now what's the next step? Something cheap but full featured, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Seemed like a no brainer to me. And with Sketchbook Pro becoming free, there's really not MUCH of a need to go back to Krita... Unless this means that Autodesk is abandoning this IP. If that's the case, that's a real shame. 

But regardless, it'd be nice to get the Assistant Tool in Affinity Photo, regardless of if similar stuff is in other software, it's not that it'd be nice to have something similar in Affinity Photo -- it's be nice to have the exact tool with upgrades that would allow you to draw an Azimuthal Equidistant Curvilinear Perspective grid.

Although Krita's Assistant Tool is the best out there (for some reason... it's a free program) it's still limiting.