metajake

[By Design] Copying (to clipboard) clears forward history

"Clear Selection" erases the forward steps in history.

Example: If I go backwards in history (to look at a previous layout), and I then click elsewhere on the canvas to remove the selection boxes around the layout elements...

... the forward history is destroyed.

This seems like a bug.

Press the space bar to temporarily remove the selection boxes.

BTW, you might want to edit the thread title which currently refers to something different from what you describe in your OP.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

I agree that deselecting an object shouldn't be part of the undo/redo stack. I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug, but it certainly bugs me!

I do like that you can press the space bar in Designer to preview without selection bounds, but I still think undo/redo should be reserved for destructive actions. And sometimes space bar doesn't work—say, if there is focus on a text field like Swatches > Opacity.

Some people may remember that with InDesign CS3, Adobe started including non-destructive actions (switching to preview mode, showing and hiding guides, etc) in the undo/redo stack, and it was a nightmare. People hated it, and Adobe restored the previous behaviour. In Adobe apps, I like that the relevant selection comes back when you undo or redo.

Edited by Kal

Hi metajake

If you go back through the history then perform a new action it will remove the history afterwards, it can't just insert an entry between two existing entries, it has to start fresh. This is intended behaviour I;m afraid

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com