fifi

Color picker in affinity vs other software video example (doesn't pick color often)

When using alt for color picker magnifying glass seems to instantly launch and makes my color picker do weird things, making it too frustrating to pick colors quickly.

When switching to color picker using a shortcut magnifying glass seems not to even begin loading unless i move cursor a little bit with pen pressure applied, which works great for me since color picking is accurate, fast and just like in other software. However if I switch off color picker too quickly (happens alot) or even before I release pen pressure line appears.

Please consider doing something about magnifying glass if it's in fact the cause. It's neat for vector stuff, but for painting for me I prefer to be able to pick a color fast just how other programs do it.

Also I promise I don't miss colors on purpose! Trying my best.

If  the color picker would work like in PS (or CSP, krita, PSP, etc... that'd be really nice for painting....)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

Fastest and most productive way to use it is allowing a temporary toggle: I always set any image editing tool so that alt key (every package has alt for this....in Windows)  is in my pen side button. (the other is ctrl + alt + z).I mean, configuring that per app, in Wacom control panel . So, if I press it (or alt key), brush temporarily switches to color picker, you see how the brush cursor becomes a color picker tiny icon (not a a big loupe slower to load, as you can just mouse wheel for some zoom if wanna pick with pixel precision, which ain't that common)  fast-click wherever, and releasing the button (or alt key) you are with the brush, continuing painting. IMO , tons faster, and non workflow breaker...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

Hey fifi,

I can't reproduce that line you're getting but I can occasionally miss something I want to pick the colour from. I can also reproduce the magnifying glass not appearing until you move the mouse—though I'm not sure if this is by design so I'll have to check with the developers for you. 

@SrPx

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Fastest and most productive way to use it is allowing a temporary toggle

Yeah, I totally agree, switching to color picker using a shortcut and then switching back is just a workaround, since using alt for "temporary invocation" in affinity is so unreliable for me.

51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I can't reproduce that line you're getting

Way to do it every time is have brush tool selected, then switch to color picker press left mouse button, then while holding still so that magnifier doesn't appear switch to brush tool and move your mouse and then release lmb. It also sometimes happens when switching back to brush tool quickly but then the line doesn't go all the way up to a cursor position.

Main thing is this color picker situation. When you paint you just want it to work, you don't care about sniper precision with magnifier tool. You don't even care for color preview of what you select most of the time. Krita has big square previewing the color you select after you hold LMB, but when painting I rarely even use that. I find myself picking color so often even like once per stroke sometimes which is once per second. If there's a lag introduced with color picking or wrong color is picked you put a wrong stroke and have to undo.. You know what I'm getting at... Color picker has to work every time.

Thanks for response guys

On 5/23/2018 at 4:25 PM, fifi said:

Way to do it every time is have brush tool selected, then switch to color picker press left mouse button, then while holding still so that magnifier doesn't appear switch to brush tool and move your mouse and then release lmb. It also sometimes happens when switching back to brush tool quickly but then the line doesn't go all the way up to a cursor position.

I've reproduced this now. I'll log it with development as it is a bit odd.

I will pass your other feedback over too. It sounds like you have a very fast-paced workflow which hasn't been anticipated so hopefully, we can improve this.