You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorial showing how to create rope pattern brush?

I searched Youtube but didn't find anything done with Affinity designer to create a simple rope pattern brush.  I want to learn how to make a brush that would replicate the rope around this image. 

Are there any helpful videos that go into how to create a brush with a pattern that repeats?

Fourth-Marines-Third-Battalion.jpg

• Staff

Hi jgowrie and Welcome to the Forums,

This post has the steps needed to create a brush:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/29696-image-brush-affinity-designer/&tab=comments#comment-144073

You'll need a PNG of part of the rope, which you could create by tracing the shape with then Pen tool, exporting as a PNG. You could even switch to the Pixel Persona and use the selection tools to select the shape, copy the selection and then click File>New From Clipboard, then export this as a PNG.  You can then use that as the base of the brush and if you follow the steps on the above link.

Hi, jgowrie,

I came at this from a different direction. I've been working w. image brushes, but what I've learned so far is not enough yet to let me make a brush that would always give exactly 70 sections of pattern.

I messed w. the problem a few times, trying to find a way to power duplicate the motif in a circle. Ended up making 2 70 section polygons, and drawing the form starting from a shape defined by the 1st section of the outer poly, and extending to over the next in the inner. Then moving the rotation center of the drawn form to the center of the outer poly. Then power duplicating it 5.143 angle X 69.

Had a number of problems. My shape, based on the very pixelated and distorted image you posted didn't work quite right. So I changed the shape to a symbol, so I could tweak the nodes, and get a reasonably even set of sections around the periphery.

Put some fx on the symbol group to make it look a little more photo like.

If you like, examine and use the included file as you like.

RopeBorder.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet