You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good Evening,

I am new to Affinity and I wish they mention slow operating affinity I would not have paid for it. To load a Raw file from my Canon 80D is very frustrating, I am almost about to give up on the software and call it a waste of money and better inform my facebook 'new photographer'' group of about 25,000 members not to join. Everything is slow..slow ...slow. to load, editing, undo. Please is there any help before I take this matter up because I found it deceiving nothing like in the video. I CAN'T WORK and I am regretting it. 

Many Thanks 

12 hours ago, sparkle said:

To load a Raw file from my Canon 80D is very frustrating

How long does it take? What is your operating system? What is your CPU? Where are you loading the image from (SSD, HDD, network)? 

I'm not sure why you are threatening us with informing your Facebook group of 25,000 people, if you aren't happy with your purchase, you can always request a refund. But let's try to work out what the problem is first of all.

Nothing strange and I'm not threatening anyone. It's frustrating when my group asked me to review the product and nothing good to say about it. 

Load from my card, Portable Hard Drive, and camera. i use win 10 ( cpu@ 1.90GHz) 64bit . 

Many Thanks 

4 hours ago, sparkle said:

Nothing strange and I'm not threatening anyone. It's frustrating when my group asked me to review the product and nothing good to say about it. 

Load from my card, Portable Hard Drive, and camera. i use win 10 ( cpu@ 1.90GHz) 64bit . 

Many Thanks 

Wait, so you are loading and editing on a USB drive? I hope USB 3, otherwise things will slow down.

Based on your CPU's speed, I'd wager a bet and say it's an Intel i3, which means (together with Win10) you are probably running a Surfacebook or other low-powered laptop. Which points at your GPU being a low-performance Intel one. The i3 and on-board Intel GPUs are bottom of the barrel products, and your system doesn't quite meet the minimum system requirements for Photoshop, for example (minimum 2Ghz CPU).

Intel GPUs are notoriously bad for OpenGL and they are widely known for their limitations for professional graphics work (in particular on WIndows-based systems: the drivers are pretty bad and do not support more advanced GPU features): Affinity leverages OpenGL to drive the screen rendering, and in my experience working with OpenGL-based graphics software on a similar i5 with Intel graphics and SSD will cause all sorts of lags and slowdowns. Krita, for example, will run like a hog, as will Affinity. Adobe applications take forever to load up, and are laggy as heck. Forget about multi-tasking.

Your RAM should be at least 8GB - 4GB is going to cause slowdowns again, and you can't have any other applications open simultaneously without causing more slowdowns.

Don't forget that Affinity is aimed at professional work (as is Photoshop), and your system, truth be told, seems to barely hit the minimum system requirements.

Hence, together with working from a portable drive / card, things may slow down to a crawl, depending on your workflow.

If you could give us more specific hardware info, we might be able to assist in improving your experience with Affinity Photo.

15 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

The i3 and on-board Intel GPUs are bottom of the barrel products

My copy of Affinity Photo on an i3 laptop with Intel HD graphics is quite slow to load large raw images, but I expect that! Although it’s very slow at stitching panoramas (again expected) its performance is adequate for most other tasks.

I always copy images to local storage before opening them. I wouldn’t dream of trying to open them (in any software other than an image viewer) straight from a camera, SD card or thumb drive.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello,
I have been using Affinity Photo since  first Windows Trials. The problem with slow opening of NEF files has existed since the beginning. It has not been fixed in any version so far. There is also a lack of correct answers from the authors of the software. On my computer, I can use Lightroom or Capture one in seconds to open the same NEF files. Then just love AP! Too bad, because it's a great software.

Greetings