You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TestImage with flaws and questions...Designer

TestTools

Hi; I hope no-one minds if I ask advice while also sharing...

I created this 4096x2160;16bit;P3 file as part of a series of test images for checking a cinema auditorium. Obviously, it is using cone gradients of the primary and secondary colors, then flipping them around to meet up in a pattern. 

One major problem that I have had is getting each 1000x1000 square to exactly butt up against each other without leaving a fine (fine, fine, fine) line between them. It shows on the ADesigner screen image and shows up in the TIFF image (12-bit TIFF is what is required for the transfer to a cinema projector file.) I have spent hours (iMac with 5k screen) futzing and finally came up with the technique of putting a strip of color behind the two blocks and applying a gradient to that (not perfect perfect, but pretty close.)

I found that by laboriously going to each block and instead of leaving the "transform" numbers as they are, that if I go through each one and put in a bunch of zeros after the number that the blocks gets closer to being perfectly together. In other words, instead of X position of 48 I type in 48,00000000 or for W and H of 1000 I type in 1000,0000000000 ... and also very importantly for R, 90 must be 90,000000000 – I just put in an arbitrary number of zeros, but it seems to straiten out. 

Now, maybe I didn't have 'whole numbers' turned on early in the process, and that would have solved the issue. I tried that later and it doesn't seem to always help – and things seem to shift (dither between ± points) if I don't give it the precision of the added zeros. I'd just like to hear from others as to whether this has come up with you before (or if I am the only psychotic doing things where this matters?)?

Also, what I am learning today and what I originally came to the forum for, is if there is a way to add exif data within Designer? 

Anyway, thanks! Good luck to us all...

WhitePriSec.afdesign

WhitePriSec1.tiff

Edited by TestTools
adding tags...wish I could also set it for showing when someone makes comments (which I forgot to do).

Hi, TestTool,

This is v-e-r-y interesting.There have been lots of posts talking about what appears to be an anti-aliasing artifact problem when objects of the same color butt each other, particularly if there is an underlying color.

Mentions also of slight problems w. snapping. Assuming that you meant 1000.000000000 instead of 1000,000000000, perhaps you have stumbled on a way of clearing up this small but pesky problem. My assumption is that adding in the extra extreme precision requires the code to ignore the parameters for anti-aliasing.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks gdenby,

Yes, my computer is set for the EU method of a comma being the same as the US 'point', so you are seeing the method that I used correctly. 

I hadn't thought of the anti-alising connection, but that is what got me onto the solution. I had a block that I had turned 90° then butting them so they'd be adjoining each other with a snap...but found (with extreme close up magnification) that in some occasions one side would 'tilt' by a pixel and take an overlapping pixel 'dither' or one other side would have a hairline space, which would show up as a whole pixel when turned to a 16bit TIFF. And then I'd notice that the x and y positions were no longer on whole numbers as they once were...and there would be no way to get them to be exact whole numbers anymore by arrow keys or moves with the mouse...until I realised the answer was adding precision to the angle....and then the size...and the position. 

Thus, indeed, that is when and how the extra precision idea took form and proved itself...and even with that, it is not perfect, but it solves 80% of the problem. I still get these hairlines...perhaps exaserbated by my 5K retina screen (yours too I imagine.)   

What is the next step...how do I report this to a tech wizard?

Oh, and wow. How is that 12inch iPad working for you? I have the 1st Pro generation. I bought Affinity Photos for it, but Photos is not my thing. Can't wait for Designer on the iPad.

This issue is truly frustrating. Who has time to go through an entire piece to "add precision" to every single element??

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Owen...thanks for the response. 

I will try some of these precision aids, as you describe.

RE: false hairline cracks. Unfortunately these false cracks show up on TIFF files sometimes. Though I know what you mean...sometimes not, sometimes yes. My export is to a 4K projector on a 40+ foot screen...which shows all flaws.

Sorry for delay in response...been on the road away.