You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bolean operations explanation required......!

can anyone explain me how to do Boolean operation ? I am novice to the afinity this is my first graphic design softwear so I have no idea how boolean operations work in graphic works. I want to combine shapes but now it is so fustrating and tiresome to think how this is done by boolean operations  

• Staff

Hi Akila,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Here's a quick example showing the subtract boolean operation (note you need to have at least two objects selected for the Geometry operation's icons become available in the main toolbar): 

subtract_operation.thumb.gif.40fceb33ac6379d3be85cd4bc87a197d.gif

All the other operations work in a similar way and are self-explanatory. Add will simple add both shapes, turning them into a single shape. Intersection will turn the common area between the two shapes into its own shape discarding the rest. Divide splits the objects and common areas into separate independent shapes. Combine merges the objects leaving the overlapping/common areas transparent. Check this Help topic for more details: Joining objects.

Also note that if you press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on an operation icon in the main toolbar you will create a compound object instead (which is basically a non-destructive boolean operation). If you click the small arrow near the compound layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel (to expand it) you will have access to the original shapes used to generate the compound. You can edit them as any regular shape and the compound will update itself to reflect the changes you have made. To lean more about non-destructive boolean operations (compound objects) check this Help topic: Compound objects.