DanielM

Affinity Photo/Designer won't open

On 10/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Spider_Webster,

Were you crashing on launch? Usually that's either a driver issue with your video card and we would recommend uninstalling it and reinstalling it (don't just update) or check the list of known software conflicts:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44770-issues-caused-by-third-party-software/

The old disk image may not have any of those applications installed on it which is why it is working.

Ive uninstalled my nvidia software and driver rebooted and stuck with the simple vga for a little and it still wouldnt load. Ive now just let windows install graphics card driver and I will check the list of software from your link.

Just checked the software list and dont have any of those?

Edited by Spider_Webster

4 hours ago, redesigned said:

Any luck with this issue?¬† This just started happening to all three Affinity products on my machine and i had been using them all up until today. ūüėě

If they were all working yesterday, and not today, then what changes were made on your system (OS updates, other applications added, hardware changes, etc.)?

And what are the symptoms of them not working?

What release of the applications are you using?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.903 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.903 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.902 Beta.

Apologies, I started my own thread in which the version of everything relevant are all mentioned/referenced:

I figured out the bug was in Affinities handling of color management profiles.

The weekly windows 10 pro insider edition update must have pushed a new version of the surface enhanced color profile i'd been using for the surface display.

Switching the surface display to use this profile sRGB IEC1966-2.1 (default) fixed the issue even though i'd been using the Enhanced profile on the surface display only this entire time, the other two displays were already sRGB IEC1966-2.1

I'm guessing that a bug in the colorspace math is what is causing the early crash, android and ios have both had similar bugs in the recent past.
they are easy to get if there is any rounding in the colorspace math code, you can easily get out of bounds values unless all calculations have limit checks.

thanks for the reply, hope the color management information helps others facing this issue.