You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to create two layers from a selection. One layer has the selected data and the other layer has the non selected data.  I would expect that when I look at the two layers I should have a complete picture.  The issue is that I have a faint outline of the selection area and the size of that outline gets larger with feather.  But, even with a 0 feather the outline still shows up.

To recreate:
Create a black pixel layer.  This layer is so you can see the outine.

Create a white pixel layer on top of the black.

Make a selection and copy (ctrl-c), then paste into a new layer (ctrl-v)

Select previous white layer from which you copied and hit delete key to cut out selection.

Hide the marching ants (ctrl-d) and you should see the faint outline.  I've tried different scenarios including inverting selection and pasting onto a third layer and I still get artifacts.

Capture.PNG

1. Select the White layer with the ellipse knocked out
  2. Click on the small cog on the Layers Panel, this will open the Blend Option Window
  3. In Blend Options click on the Coverage Map
  4. Click on the line and pull it up and to the left until it hits the top left corner, so that the line is like an L rotated 90º clockwise, the line should disappear. 

1124054235_ScreenShot2018-05-21at23_25_21.png.3ba48af779660a6d3e8c5c590530548e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

This time, when you zoom in, all become white, and PNG or JPG export give you a white background.

Your first test with feather and antialising is like roughtly cuting some paper: you can't put it together  and get it like new, sort of.

With 2px feather on your copy and paste circle, you need to shrink your selection -4 px before erasing to get a semless cut.

18 minutes ago, Wosven said:

This time, when you zoom in, all become white, and PNG or JPG export give you a white background.

Your first test with feather and antialising is like roughtly cuting some paper: you can't put it together  and get it like new, sort of.

With 2px feather on your copy and paste circle, you need to shrink your selection -4 px before erasing to get a semless cut.

Zooming in and out has not impact... The artifact is still there..  If I hide the black layer below, then the circle disappears which implies that AP is not properly selecting all the pixels.

52 minutes ago, csh2000 said:

Zooming in and out has not impact... The artifact is still there..  If I hide the black layer below, then the circle disappears which implies that AP is not properly selecting all the pixels.

For the no feather no AA version view at Pixel Size (cmd9).

Otherwise, :S.

15 minutes ago, hannah said:

that's weird, myLine is "cleaner" than yours. see the slightly grey pixels around yours in my screenshot? no idea why that is. good luck

I get a line on your file when viewing anything below 200% zoom... except for cmd9. Above 200%=no line

I recreated the file parameters at your file dimensions and got the same result.

Try recreating at my dimensions?

Ha! Welcome to Affinity!!~

Edit: Actually what I said isn't true. Above 200% I still get a line... just much MUCH fainter.

1726473166_ScreenShot2018-05-21at10_16_07PM.png.4fa0581fa318dc8865d16f7b496e718d.png

What is cmd9?

When I move my ellipse a bit (like you see in the screenshot from above), my edges are white like polar snow, so what you see in my file can only be an artefact, something not really there. Well I do hope so.

so to be honest, I don't wanna jinx it. It works for me,  and I just decided, until I have a problem, I will stay away from it, hahaha

Fun fact: although seeing nothing in AfP, I very much see the ellipse when watching the preview of my file in Finder.

11 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Edit: Actually what I said isn't true. Above 200% I still get a line... just much MUCH fainter. 

That is what I see when I open your file! please open my file and move the ellipe for a whole pixel. how are the edges?!? ohhh I feel I am jinxing it...

:) Ok. So cmd9 is the shortcut to view at pixel size.

Here are screen grabs of your file at 199% and then at 200%

1501639181_ScreenShot2018-05-21at10_29_08PM.thumb.png.f6c667b958cc155fa90503c1c044d96f.png

447093631_ScreenShot2018-05-21at10_29_24PM.thumb.png.475680190488ca812699bd2add45f03e.png

Regarding your last post. If I move the ellipse I see a crescent of the black below. Which is understandable.

(rest assured I moved the ellipse (1px). The wrong layer is highlighted in the pic)

1918064755_ScreenShot2018-05-21at10_33_24PM.thumb.png.4dc96dcf177872dd7f5ab15c7df91768.png

@JimmyJack - I get same faint line on your file as well.  Thanks for sharing...

This is beginning to sound like "do you hear laural or yanny" .. :D 

Looks to be luck of the draw , whether you get the artifacts or not. Thanks to everyone for checking out and offering your suggestions.   I should have mentioned.. I'm running on a Windows 10 system... Not sure if that has anything to do with.  Maybe one of the developers can check this out..

Thanks again.

Chip

2 minutes ago, csh2000 said:

@JimmyJack - I get same faint line on your file as well.  Thanks for sharing...

This is beginning to sound like "do you hear laural or yanny" .. :D 

Looks to be luck of the draw , whether you get the artifacts or not. Thanks to everyone for checking out and offering your suggestions.   I should have mentioned.. I'm running on a Windows 10 system... Not sure if that has anything to do with.  Maybe one of the developers can check this out..

Thanks again.

Chip

HAHA. I actually hear both!! I can switch back and forth at will. Weird.

No line.afdesign

232473077_NoLine.thumb.gif.640d518d217fa88bb90e6495abbf96f8.gif

This can be opened in AF Photo with the same result.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

firstdefense,

I see the faint blackline at the base, but nowhere else.

When I try recreating the file myself, I do get the faint line. In my attempt, if I make the circle that was the cut out .02mm larger, the line goes away on a portion of the perimeter. If I move the circle +.01mm, the position of the faint line changes. If I increase the circle size another .02mm, the faint line continues to be visible at pixel size until I'm zoomed to 700%. During the zooming process I can see pixels that a redrawn to an antialiased grey. I noticed the center of the circle was .01mm off the center of the cut out rectangle. After moving it, the line disappears at 400%.

I also switched to both pixel and retina pixel view, and get a very obvious, and less obvious anti-aliased line. The only major difference I can find between your file and my attempt at recreation is that in mine, the circle is on center w. the rectangle, but in yours it is not.

This seems quite curious.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

No line.afdesign

232473077_NoLine.thumb.gif.640d518d217fa88bb90e6495abbf96f8.gif

This can be opened in AF Photo with the same result.

We're working with raster data. Take a look at the initial instructions.

Rasterize your shapes (and switch to pixel view mode (which really isn't necessary to see the line, but hey we're dealing with pixels right ;)))

Your's after rasterization....

1413955215_ScreenShot2018-05-22at9_59_14AM.thumb.png.a30c76aa4a8e54367c50269f7b923c15.png

11 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

HAHA. I actually hear both!!

Me too!

I can switch back and forth at will.

Again, me too. (Well, almost at will.)

Weird.

Definitely.

Have we gone off topic yet? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, gdenby said:

firstdefense,

I see the faint blackline at the base, but nowhere else.

When I try recreating the file myself, I do get the faint line. In my attempt, if I make the circle that was the cut out .02mm larger, the line goes away on a portion of the perimeter. If I move the circle +.01mm, the position of the faint line changes. If I increase the circle size another .02mm, the faint line continues to be visible at pixel size until I'm zoomed to 700%. During the zooming process I can see pixels that a redrawn to an antialiased grey. I noticed the center of the circle was .01mm off the center of the cut out rectangle. After moving it, the line disappears at 400%.

I also switched to both pixel and retina pixel view, and get a very obvious, and less obvious anti-aliased line. The only major difference I can find between your file and my attempt at recreation is that in mine, the circle is on center w. the rectangle, but in yours it is not.

This seems quite curious.

Yes I left that in and didn't edit the white with the hole punched out. Is there a reason why everyone is using pixel and not curves?

Oh take a look at this one, both pixel layers: rasterised no line.afphoto

1932820803_ScreenShot2018-05-22at19_32_57.thumb.png.da9f3c74079444967819dbbe8f392989.png

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Me too!

Again, me too. (Well, almost at will.)

Definitely.

Have we gone off topic yet? :/

Never xD...

Come to think of it, I know a guy with perfect pitch.

Will be interesting to hear his take on it.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Yes I left that in and didn't edit the white with the hole punched out. Is there a reason why everyone is using pixel and not curves?

Oh take a look at this one, both pixel layers: rasterised no line.afphoto

So what's the special sauce?

Care to post a vid of the process?

43 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Never xD...

Come to think of it, I know a guy with perfect pitch.

Will be interesting to hear his take on it.

So what's the special sauce?

Care to post a vid of the process?

Add strokes,  add a 2px stroke to the white rectangle with the hole punched out and set to centre align. set a stroke to the ellipse of 2px and set to Outline, then rasterise both layers and hey presto! a big dollop of special sauce lol! You might be able to get away with 1.5 px depends how good your eyes are. As far as I can tell the least is 1.8px for imperceptibility.