You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to disable ICC profile at export time?

Quite everything is in the title, but to be more contextual, I'm working with 32bits linear .exr (3D renders).
To have a proper non destructive workflow I use OCIO layers to convert from linear space to color profil spaces, then I use creative LUT (or do manual adjustments).
Exemple: OCIO layer to convert from scene linear to Slog, then a creative Log LUT to have my look, and export to final 8bits format.

The problem is at the end of the process, when exporting an image there is an ICC profile apply on top of my stack, so it add an aditionnal transfer curve wich altered my work.
I don't talk about how to view my work how it's exported, I know that, but I want my work not to be altered with additionnal transform.
I know a cheap way of doing what I want but it's not satisfying.

So, is there a way of disabling ICC profile during the export? Or is it planned to add the option in a future release?

Thanks to try @GabrielM but it doesn't work since ICC profile just above is set. And there isn't an option to say no ICC profile.
Don't know what the embed is for but I assume it's just informations.

Edit: or perhaps the option has a bug when you uncheck embed ICC

• Staff

Embed ICC profile—when selected, the ICC profile is included within the exported image's data, allowing the image to be viewed using the correct profile on any device. If this option is off, the viewing device must possess the ICC profile otherwise a substitute profile is used.

So, the answer is no. You cannot export an image without a valid ICC profile. 

It might help if you could provide us with a sample .afphoto file that is ready to be exported. Then we could see exactly what you're seeing.

However, I think it's true that all Affinity documents have a color profile assigned to them. You can see that in the top status bar while working on the image, next to the image dimensions. During Export, on the More... popup, you have a choice of using the document's ICC profile or some other one. As long as you choose "Use Document Profile" I wouldn't expect any further conversion to be done, and I would expect the file to be exported as shown on-screen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks @GabrielM but do you think an option to disable ICC at export is feasible? Or having a neutral (no transfer curve) ICC profile?
It's a pity that such a nice workflow (OCIO layer adjustment) is "broken" at the export step. But I need to try James Ritson answer on the other tread to see if there is an alternative.

Thanks @walt.farrell I'll add a .afphoto tomorow (it's late here).
You're right when saying:

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As long as you choose "Use Document Profile" I wouldn't expect any further conversion to be done, and I would expect the file to be exported as shown on-screen.

IF your preview is set to ICC display Transform, you see the exact result but a transfer curve is apply on top of your stack, what I don't want.
I set my preview to unmanaged so I see exactly what my stack is doing (not the scene linear part, I know), I only want the transformations I choose since my creative LUT already convert from a Log profil to a sRGB one.

• Staff
5 hours ago, Mareck said:

Thanks @GabrielM but do you think an option to disable ICC at export is feasible? Or having a neutral (no transfer curve) ICC profile?
It's a pity that such a nice workflow (OCIO layer adjustment) is "broken" at the export step. But I need to try James Ritson answer on the other tread to see if there is an alternative.

Thanks @walt.farrell I'll add a .afphoto tomorow (it's late here).
You're right when saying:

IF your preview is set to ICC display Transform, you see the exact result but a transfer curve is apply on top of your stack, what I don't want.
I set my preview to unmanaged so I see exactly what my stack is doing (not the scene linear part, I know), I only want the transformations I choose since my creative LUT already convert from a Log profil to a sRGB one.

Hi Mareck, I've replied in your other thread. Photo's OCIO implementation wasn't meant to be a final step for exporting 8 or 16-bit deliverables, it was so you could have a non-destructive view transform and edit your work whilst previewing in the correct colour space without resorting to fudgery. You will find that if you set the correct display device (e.g. sRGB) and view transform (e.g. Filmic) then the result you see in Photo will match blender's output. As mentioned, the complication here is if you want to export your result to an 8 or 16-bit format with a non-linear transform. In that case, the steps I posted in the other thread should allow you to use the ICC Display Transform whilst maintaining the look you expect.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Ok I understand, I was trying to do something that wasn't created for that, but it's a pity.
I know that from a user point of view things look more simple that they are, but I think providing a neutral ICC profil wouldn't be too hard.
I'll try to learn if it's possible to do one.
Thanks