DegasBrush

RAW image resized to 72dpi jpeg comes back in @ 300dpi???

Okay I am confused... I have a NIKON D3300 with a 24mpx sensor, when I open and develop the NEF raw file, and I check resize document, I get 6000 x 4000 (or weirdly lately 6016 x 4016) @ 300dpi.... If I go back into Resize document and uncheck resample and set it to 72dpi then export the file to jpeg, not changing the pixel size.. ie same 6000 x 4000px then open that jpeg document in Photo... and check Resize Document, it's still showing 300dpi when it should be 72? I have tested this by creating a 6016 x 4016 72dpi image and placing the previously created image into it and it fits and the information at top left says for placed image 6016 x 4016 @ 72dpi..

So is Photo incorrectly showing the resolution of the opened (not placed) 72dpi jpeg file? or have I missed something here?

Thanks for any clarification..

Cheers

Hi DegasBrush

This is a long standing issue with the metadata we are writing. The current work around is to untick embed metadata when exporting the image. The team are working on sorting this soo hopefully we'll finally see this sorted in a future release

Thanks

I'm sort of having the same problem. I import a raw photo and develop it. As there is no tab to check the DPI in develop, I have to develop it in order to see the DPI in the photo persona.

When I do, it's at 72 DPI. If I then change the DPI to 300 as it should be and export it as a Tiff, the DPI in the properties of the Tiff file has changed back to 72. The same thing happens if I export it as a Jpg. I haven't tried the work around yet.

Would appreciate it being sorted sooner rather than later as it's effecting my work on public sites. Some of the sites that I upload photographs to, require the metadata, I. e. the EXIF file. Using the work around mentioned above strips out the metadata by unticking embed metadata. 

I don't want to have to go back to Photoshop. After all the consensus was at the time that I purchased AFFINITY that it is a good replacement for Photoshop. I'm beginning to disagree.

Regards

Roy Hesketh

2 hours ago, heskphotography said:

I import a raw photo and develop it. As there is no tab to check the DPI in develop, I have to develop it in order to see the DPI in the photo persona.

While in the Develop Persona, if you look through the complete set of EXIF info in the EXIF panel you should be able to find the X- and (possibly) Y-resolutions, which will give you the DPI info according to the camera.

2 hours ago, heskphotography said:

I don't want to have to go back to Photoshop. After all the consensus was at the time that I purchased AFFINITY that it is a good replacement for Photoshop. I'm beginning to disagree.

You don't need Photoshop to set dpi, some free image viewer can do it easily on PC, like FastStone Viewer: Edit > Modify PDI

Irfan Viewer: Image > Resample.  O XnView MP…

On Mac, with Preview: Tools > Adjust Size

It's only a display value for screens, printers, etc., an information that doesn't need a photo editor program to be set.

I could as a workaround until this bug is fixed, copy the exif data from the original file and paste it into the exported file using ACDSee Photo Professional 2018 (My Lightroom/RAW editing replacement) I realise that Photo does RAW editing but it appears to be a destructive action ie once you've developed the file you can't go back and edit RAW settings or have I missed something?

Cheers...

P.S. I haven't tried the copy/paste EXIF thing myself..