You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. I am trying to create design from picture above. I have problem with zig zag lines. I want to get effect like on screenshoot 1.

Screenshoot 2 is showing my package template. I would like to get zig zag lines go smoothly from one side of the package to another one.

Any ideas how i could make this work?

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

The top edge is curved in the image not straight, the zigzag lines can be placed under the black line shape colour, I've attached a file that shows what I mean.

5b01d29cc899d_ScreenShot2018-05-20at20_54_52.png.ae010161ac76c698084265b6f6ea2893.png

Cone with zigzag.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

24 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The top edge is curved in the image not straight

That’s true, but your screenshot seems to ignore the fact that the plain bit at the top isn’t part of the front face of the ‘cone’. It’s the inside of the back face of what is essentially a gusseted bag with a curved top, sloping sides and a narrow base.

Disclaimer: I haven’t viewed your *.afdesign file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5b01daa59e467_ScreenShot2018-05-20at21_28_36.png.f9b26b2b045fb9f12b535c623ae45472.png

Cone Template.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I hope you aren’t accusing Alfredo (who’s him?) of waffling! :o

Alfred spacer.png

35 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I hope you aren’t accusing Alfredo (who’s him?) of waffling! :o

He is a bit of a chatterbox

You won’t easily get a smooth transition if you draw a separate set of zigzags for each side of the container. You seem to be trying to make the zigzags follow the line of the top of the packaging, but if you look closely at the photo in your original post you’ll see that the curved top cuts through the zigzag pattern. To create the same effect, you just need to fill a rectangle with a regular pattern of zigzag lines, draw the packaging shapes on top, add copies of the shapes to create an outline and then clip the rectangle to that outline shape.

Alfred spacer.png

I suspect the package zigzag design doesn't go around the back but as Alfred has noted the zigzag pattern is linear and not curved. The problem is one of a diminishing shape when its within the bounds of a triangle. In your design you are creating a problem by splitting a triangle, what you should have is three triangles with one having the glue edge, like so...

5b02baa409cf8_ScreenShot2018-05-21at13_23_22.thumb.png.c21472fa397bf657fa5febfa16979cc1.png

There are three triangles in this design, a front triangle, a back triangle and an extended triangle, the back triangle and an extended triangle can be merged but I have left them separate to demonstrate the construction of this shape. All triangles were created using the Pie Tool and the diagonal line is 45º this keeps everything neat. The front and back triangles have the zigzag texture as a sublayer so that the parent layer clips the texture. Both textures are in the same place but clipped by their respective parent layer. 

This makes for a much less complicated design and you are not fighting the design.

chunky monkey waffles.afdesign

Note: You could try rotating the zigzag texture to see if you can get the texture to follow the triangle, the results are a bit better.

5b02c01254081_ScreenShot2018-05-21at13_47_37.thumb.png.68e3e5c2efdf5245759b064bc6f98660.png

chunky monkey waffles v2.afdesign

You could always change the design texture to something less awkward like polka dots.

5b02c2a6c1a1f_ScreenShot2018-05-21at13_58_36.thumb.png.90c75f337ef6b7089357658e45f0003e.png

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

All triangles were created using the Pie Tool and the diagonal line is 45º this keeps everything neat.

But it would not be much like the package template:

cone.png.b1755a7dda68f6b393e72f769cc777a4.png  633470193_chunkymonkeyangle.png.4247f1a12fa57565e158ce0419e1421c.png  1836610694_wackydaffy.png.2cf9f7301884b20e30ffc86c7caf181e.png

On the assumption that the actual angle of the package is probably 60°, I came up with Wacky Daffy Waffles.afdesign. It is based on your chunky monkey file but I decided to see if using symbols for the front & back would keep everything neat & aligned at the fold. And so it does ... almost. :S You can't tell from the screenshot above but it is easy to see the slight misalignment in the opened afdesign file if you zoom in.

Any idea why this doesn't work perfectly?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But it would not be much like the package template:

My packaging cost less, I can serve less and charge more = more profit. 

I think making a simpler less obvious texture would look better, actually I think these packages are for serve crepes not waffles but I could be wrong, 60º works as well and symbols is good angle < pun intended to come from. I think the person eating the food isn't going to worry too much about a slight offset with the printing but if I was actually making one of these I'd certainly spend more time making sure it all worked and was accurate.

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

My packaging cost less, I can serve less and charge more = more profit. 

Your grasp of supply & demand economics may not be quite as good as one might hope for. xD

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

actually I think these packages are for serve crepes not waffles...

With a flat bottom, they remind me somewhat of McDonald's french fry (chips on your side of the Atlantic?) containers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

With a flat bottom, they remind me somewhat of McDonald's french fry (chips on your side of the Atlantic?) containers.

We call them fries here as well, although I don't eat junk food. Chips are fatter, soggier and dripping in hydrogenated grease, they are then drowned in vinegar and salt added for taste, if taken home they may also have salad cream, mayo, brown or tomato sauce liberally splashed all over them, they can also come with plastic cheese melted onto them. Yum!

forgot to add, I export textures as PNG to be applied later in my cutting app Make The Cut, so I focus on shape, cut lines and fold lines, then I overlay the texture and export separately.

Loving the new forum by the way.

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Any idea why this doesn't work perfectly?

because the zigzag in your file isn't exactly symmetrical. If you mirror the 2nd piece, the two parts match and moreover when closing the beautiful thing, the beginning would meet the end perfectly.

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 04.51.01.png

23 minutes ago, hannah said:

because the zigzag in your file isn't exactly symmetrical.

Thanks! I blame @firstdefence (& my own laziness) for that -- I stole borrowed his ZIGZAG TEXTURE zigzag group from his original chunky monkey file for my Wacky Daffy file.

Affinity Photo 

Isn't a cone shape just part of a larger circle shape?

I would start with a circle (shown in grey below) add the wavy lines out from the centre point of the circle

Then add pie segments to make the cone, etc etc etc

Once done just mask out the unwanted stuff

No time to do this neater but hopefully you can see what I mean, the wavy lines are just made with the polygon shape tool. Each with 24 sides, in my example

conefin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

46 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Isn't a cone shape just part of a larger circle shape?

I would start with a circle (shown in grey below) add the wavy lines out from the centre point of the circle

Then add pie segments to make the cone, etc etc etc

Once done just mask out the unwanted stuff

No time to do this neater but hopefully you can see what I mean, the wavy lines are just made with the polygon shape tool. Each with 24 sides, in my example

conefin.jpg

Nice angle {Groan}

Yes, there are quite a few ways to do this, such as the donut shape, you could even make it even simpler by creating a roll-up version so all you have  is an arc with a glue edge. The most awkward part of all of this is the texture, the design.

Because Affinity doesn't honour a distance when scaling a shape or have an Offset Tool yet, it makes it clumsy to create consistently spaced shapes easily, especially arcs. I don't think a zigzag shape works particularly well anyway and is probably why the zigzag is straight and not curved in the original design. Creating a texture layer that can be placed as a sublayer to an outline later is the easiest method and its fairly easy to make an overprint to allow for less than accurate cutting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, tterihaj,

The file confuses me some. It starts w. the main wedge. It seems to be close to 45 degrees, but not quite. I can't tell, but I think it is 44.2 +/- .05. That makes every thing hard to line up.

Also, the "measures" are oddly constructed. Seems to be a bunch of thin overlapping rectangles. Polygons w. corner nodes overlapping should allow better placement of object on upper layers.

I have to take care of something else just now, but will try to get back in an hour or so with some solutions.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

12 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Hi, tterihaj,

The file confuses me some. It starts w. the main wedge. It seems to be close to 45 degrees, but not quite. I can't tell, but I think it is 44.2 +/- .05. That makes every thing hard to line up.

Also, the "measures" are oddly constructed. Seems to be a bunch of thin overlapping rectangles. Polygons w. corner nodes overlapping should allow better placement of object on upper layers.

I have to take care of something else just now, but will try to get back in an hour or so with some solutions.

Ok thank you. I think i could fix it with circle zig zag shape as described above. but i have problem forming circle zig zag shape...

7 minutes ago, tterihaj said:

Ok thank you. I think i could fix it with circle zig zag shape as described above. but i have problem forming circle zig zag shape...

A “circle zig zag” shape is just a star shape with lots of points, a large inner radius and a wide stroke.

Alfred spacer.png

I started out using the ellipse tool, converting to pie section. The center 1, 45°, the left and right, 22.5°. Made a larger center section, and used the corner tool to round the top corners. U

Using the pen tool, made a zig zag line snapping to grid. Made the line weight what I thought was similar to the photo example. Selected all those, and expanded stroke. Added the shapes together, and gave them color.

Beginning.thumb.jpg.e741df85069266c2b7c8fbd0a3923db0.jpg

Converted the pie shapes to curves, and changed nodes to sharp to get triangles. Nested the zig-zag lines in the main triangle. Duplicated that, and rotated around the bottom vertex. Adjusted the parent triangles nodes to snap to the underlying pie shapes.

I could only imagine what machines might do to cut out the shapes, perhaps perforate them, add glue, and fold them into the cone pocket. So the notations like "2nd fold" are just my imagination.

MyAttempt3.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet