You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does Affinity make me feel stupid?

I have been using photo editing software, on a casual basis, for many years and I tend to assume I'll be able to find my way around. But on Affinity I really can't. I sit at my computer and feel stupid because i have no idea what to do. My latest problem was trying to use the blemish repair tool (following from an HDR merge) and nothing happened at all. I had no idea what to do, but worked around it in some different way. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Page said:

I have been using photo editing software, on a casual basis, for many years and I tend to assume I'll be able to find my way around. But on Affinity I really can't. I sit at my computer and feel stupid because i have no idea what to do. My latest problem was trying to use the blemish repair tool (following from an HDR merge) and nothing happened at all. I had no idea what to do, but worked around it in some different way. 

Welcome to the forum Andrew, ask away with questions there is always someone who can help, there are no dumb questions, all we ask is that you try to explain your problem in detail and add a few screenshots if relevant. Its also a good Idea to mention which Operating System you are using too. It might also be worth your while watching a few videos, see my sig for links. 

Lets get you up to speed eh!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I find many of my answers as to how to find or apply a tool are answered in Affinity Photos built in Help file. The forum is another great source of advice.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, using the standard language of Graphic User Interface in Affinity Photo takes me nowhere, looking at the help file or help videos  on youtube tells us how it should work, but back on the software, it doesn't.  Example, copy a new layer into a document and try to resize it, just like a did a million times in Photoshop, it doesn't work, try to click on the corner dot, and ... nope, it doesn't select the point, it deselects the layer and  keep trying again for 5 minutes, give up, try resizing by using the numerical box, it works. Ok, we are good let me just crop this... hum, line up the crop tool at the top left, go move the lower line and It Moves the crop box up!!! WHY? Again the corner point doesn't work, I give up.