I have a master document with many artboards (around 100) , each of which represents a page or spread in a graphic novel.

Each artboard has one document embedded in it, that represents the editable information where the page or spread is put together. This works well because the master document is relatively simple – I edit the original document that was embedded to make changes, then replace the embedded document.

I have to add several thousand speech bubble to the document. I have been creating a symbol that I recreate in each subdocument, placing them, and then replace the embedded document.

It occurred to me that creating one symbol in the master document would let me place speech bubbles on every page in one place. Since I often have to balance the flow of the speech in the novel, this is good because I can drag from artboard to artboard, and the symbol will remain connected to the original definition. That way if I want to make changes to transparency of the background, style of border, corner radius etc, I can do so in one place.

Even though a speech bubble symbol is in a given artboard, when I double click that item and see the embedded document open up in a new tab for editing, the symbol is not part of it. Why?

Even if I accept this behaviour, when I then copy a bubble in the master layout, and then go to the embedded document tab, pasting it in leaves it not in the original position, and not to the same scale as it was.

This seems weird, and unhelpful. Even accepting the limits on Symbols, why can't they at least remember scale and position information when copied and pasted to another doc?

Hi urbanistica

Symbols are document specific rather than app specific so they are not transferred over to other documents, this includes embedded documents. You can however save a symbol as an asset. Stored assets are independent of the document as you can quickly drag one out on any document from the assets panel

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com