You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any tutorials on skin tone correction with the vectorscope?

I want to use Affinity Photo to correct film scans so that I have a systematic way to correct skin tones using the vectorscope. 

I have seen some tutorials with video editors, and I wonder if there are any good workflow examples with AP. 

I come from Lightroom and I am new to AP, so many things I do is still very inefficient. For example, when I want the vectorscope to only measure the skin I do:

crop part of skin -> adjust tones with wb adjustment layer -> copy wb adjustment layer -> go back in history to undo crop -> paste wb adjustment layer. 

There has to be a more elegant way? 

• Staff

You can use the same process in Affinity Photo, once you've added and adjusted the White Balance Adjustment  to your liking you can then create a preset within the same panel. This preset will then be available to quickly select from the White Balance adjustment, which will make the process quicker.

Another method would be to use the Selective Colour Adjustment instead of White balance, changing the Colour to Yellow and then reducing the Yellow slider usually gets good results. Again a preset can be created to make future adjustments quicker.

• 2 years later...

I'm new to everything editing and I've been finding that vectors cope also gives me better results than other methods for adjusting skin tone. 

What I've been doing is selecting the skin, then putting that in its own layer. Then I hide all layers that have an image. I adjust from there. Then I turn on the image layers to see my adjustment. Then it's up to you if you want to delete or keep that skin layer. I don't crop the image so it gets tricky if I am only sampling from a small portion of the skin as the vector scope is tough to see. It's better for larger areas of skin selected. 

I would appreciate if someone else has more links to using vectors cope in affinity specially with that skin tone line. specially with unwanted colour casts. 

Thanks. Hope that will help