You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Overlay To Simulate Pixelated TV Screen

Absolute newbie in graphics and AD here! Sorry if I don't know the proper names for what I'm trying to achieve. I would like to create a layer that would be an overlay to my main image that would simulate the pixelated TV screen. I have an image that is an example of the "screen" I want to use for the overlay. It's a very small image and I don't know if I can use it or not but it will give you an idea of what I would like to do.

Thanks!

overlay.png

• Staff

You could insert a Quick shape to cover the area of the TV screen and then nest your other image into the shape. Another possible method would be to apply a gradient fill to the shape, changing the Type to Bitmap and selecting your image to use. You will have some handles that you can use to adjust, you could then possibly change the Blend Mode or Opacity of the layer.

Hi, Frank Griffin,

I don't know exactly what you meant, either from you description or the sample of the tiny .png file. I was supposing you might want either something like a grainy CRT's scan lines, or an old 8-bit computer display.

Any rate, here's what I managed. Took a photo, blurred it slightly, and placed it in the screen shaped vector. W. the grid turned on, and appropriately sized, I drew a square over 4 grid squares, and power duplicated that horizontally, then took those and duplicated vertically, making sure each square was fitting on the grid. A used the boolean add on the array, and then filled that w. the same image. Placed that above the image within the vector, and made it partially opaque, and changed the blend mode. Duplicated that, and off set it by one grid square. Did that repeatedly, changing directions and blend modes. Eventually had a batch of mostly averaged square "pixels." Add a levels adjustment to bring back some contrast.

Maybe this will set you off in a direction you can use.

Blocky.thumb.jpg.2057bee08154184a7d282f9523eac8df.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

They use the pattern.png image, that is darker than yours.

The trick to apply it to different images is to copy and past the fill layer, since adjusting pattern can be difficult…
I added the pattern on a white square, at a bigger size on the images.

mattress-2489615.jpg

mattress-2489615_overlay.jpg

mattress-2489615_pattern.jpg

overlay.png

pattern.png