You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

Started to learn Affinity. I don't know how to make colouring in between multible pencil curves.

It worked when I made single curve but if my area is between 4 curves, how to do it then? Please check attachment.

I tried to find tutorials from youtube but...

Thank You to everybody who tries to help me!colouring.thumb.JPG.be26b620e56b6f271651af4e8e976656.JPG

Wagner

Hi, Wagner,

This is an important beginner question. Affinity fills shapes when they have a vector perimeter. Every pencil stroke might have a fill if they enclose an area. The first example would be one of those. The other has four vector lines are separate on their own, but together do not enclose any area because they are not actually joined. 

You need to change how you think about the way you are drawing if you are using the "draw" persona tools. The "pixel" persona works differently, and might do what you want after the space was filled w. white, and then painted over with "protect alpha" checked, so the unfilled space could not be painted on.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

You could always fake it.

5b0121683477e_ScreenShot2018-05-20at08_18_20.png.2acc77921d996a1e767e35aad0292314.png

5b012168ce46f_ScreenShot2018-05-20at08_18_38.png.dc8d9ac1b5a1d7546052f8cc3009b49c.png

In the example I just drew another curve around the internal shape.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Or fake it with a pixel selection

Make a copy of the four lines, group them and rasterise the group.

Select the white inside the lines and copy that area (Ctrl + J)

inside.jpg.aaeea29d32467c9b12c31a70606ced4b.jpg

Use that to paint inside the lines

layer.jpg.582a167179db16fa40fb182956af85ce.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

To maintain a vector format and be able to use transparency.

1. Draw your lines
  2. Select them all and create a Group ⌘ + G on the Keyboard
  3. Duplicate the Group ⌘ + J on the keyboard, this duplicate will be used as the correct frame for the brush and will allow for transparency over a gradient or multi-coloured background. Rename the Group to "Frame"
  4. Select the top Group and Ungroup it ⇧+⌘+G on the keyboard
  5. While the Curves are still selected
    1. Layer > Expand Stroke
    2. Reselect the Curves
    3. Layer > Geometry > Add
    4. Layer > Geometry > Divide
  6. Delete the Curve 2nd from the top in the Layers Panel
  7. Select the Curve at the top of the Layers Panel
    1. Change the Colour to your Background colour or use No fill for multi-coloured backgrounds
  8. Nest your brush stroke to the Curve.

5b0133561d1fe_ScreenShot2018-05-20at09_35_15.png.9e83ff0560c900030d349eb149e55ee3.png

Example.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

50 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

To maintain a vector format and be able to use transparency.

1. Draw your lines
  2. Select them all and create a Group ⌘ + G on the Keyboard
  3. Duplicate the Group ⌘ + J on the keyboard, this duplicate will be used as the correct frame for the brush and will allow for transparency over a gradient or multi-coloured background. Rename the Group to "Frame"
  4. Select the top Group and Ungroup it ⇧+⌘+G on the keyboard
  5. While the Curves are still selected
    1. Layer > Expand Stroke
    2. Reselect the Curves
    3. Layer > Geometry > Add
    4. Layer > Geometry > Divide
  6. Delete the Curve 2nd from the top in the Layers Panel
  7. Select the Curve at the top of the Layers Panel
    1. Change the Colour to your Background colour or use No fill for multi-coloured backgrounds
  8. Nest your brush stroke to the Curve.

5b0133561d1fe_ScreenShot2018-05-20at09_35_15.png.9e83ff0560c900030d349eb149e55ee3.png

Example.afdesign

Hi firstdefence,

Until now I was using your first method but the second one is brilliant, I hadn't thought about it! Thanks for sharing.:)

43 minutes ago, reglico said:

... the second one is brilliant...

It is indeed, although I have one very minor criticism about it: There is no point in naming the group in step 3 because ungrouping it in step 4 eliminates the group & its name. Instead, you could name the curve in step 7 to "Frame."

It is a pity that Affinity Photo does not have an "Expand Stroke" function because if it did, I think this method could be made into a macro.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Cheers guys, yes a shame with the lack of macros, shame that the history couldn't be turned into a run list and it just go through those steps, although with my history it would be chaos as I try to get the steps right lol!

I was also making additions to my Alfred Snippets and the Affinity Shortcuts I'm making so that I can make neater posts with better instructions, I was also eating a bacon, cream cheese and cranberry bagel, things got messy at one point but I've now bought a clear skin for the keyboard lol! Multi-tasking ain't my thing o.O

18 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

my Alfred Snippets

w00t.gif

I was also eating a bacon, cream cheese and cranberry bagel

TMI!! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Fear not Alfred, your Snippets are safe, I meant these snippets ;) 

5b015e458f5da_ScreenShot2018-05-20at12_37_22.png.dcbe8060512f76ec68979d52425bea73.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

... shame that the history couldn't be turned into a run list and it just go through those steps...

I don't think that would have much (if any) practical value for several reasons:

1. Most macro steps are object oriented & context-sensitive. For example, 'expand stroke' won't work on objects (like pixel or adjustment layers) for which strokes have no meaning.

2. Not many macro steps work unless something is selected.

3. There is no universal, unambiguous way to specify which objects should be selected.

4. There is no way to make a macro step conditional or to make a macro that branches depending on that.

5. Many macro steps use absolute values recorded when the macro is made rather than ones relative to the current document.

So basically, the steps in the History panel are specific to the current document. If run as a macro on any other document, it is unlikely to produce consistent or the desired results. :(

Apart from any of that, it is a pity that the booleans cannot optionally include stroke thickness so for things like this Expand Stroke would not be needed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7